Thread: Kincaid sofa

Default Kincaid sofa

I am looking to replace my sectional with just a regular sofa. I just hate this big honking thing.
    We looked at Kincaid Tuscany. I am told it’s solid wood frame with lifetime warranty. I have Kincaid bedroom furniture that’s well built that I’ve had for 20+ years.

We are considering this sofa or another one made by Klaussner, which I know is plywood frame. Our current sectional is Klaussner and it’s held up well for 9+ years. We don’t have kids jumping on it though.

Does Kincaid make good upholstery? I’d love an 8 way hand tied sofa but hubby says we don’t need to spend that kind of money.

Default Re: Kincaid sofa

I think you are reading about Kincaid’s wood furniture, not their upholstery. It “unitized frame construction” which means plywood, and here’s their cutaway, which is fairly typical of mid-grade domestic upholstery. The wood in the build is obviously rough plywood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	457A52BC-F886-4463-94E7-F0660780198E.png 
Views:	240 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	13754

95% of all upholstery furniture today is made of plywood, terms are used to avoid saying that, however. Frames almost never fail in any brand, it’s pretty much a non-issue, it happens about as often as it rains frogs. Plywood is the industry standard and there are different grades, types and thicknesses used. Based on the cutaway shown, this is unremarkable construction.

Suspension and cushion construction are more important. 8-way suspension is the gold standard, and good foam is expensive. When a sofa fails it’s due to suspension collapse or cushion loss of resilience. Or the fabric simply wears out.

Your husband has set the bar low based on price, and that’s the worst way to buy a sofa, but many do exactly that. In upholstery, you usually get what you pay for. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I think you are reading about Kincaid’s wood furniture, not their upholstery. It “unitized frame construction” which means plywood, and here’s their cutaway, which is fairly typical of mid-grade domestic upholstery. The wood in the build is obviously rough plywood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	457A52BC-F886-4463-94E7-F0660780198E.png 
Views:	240 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	13754

95% of all upholstery furniture today is made of plywood, terms are used to avoid saying that, however. Frames almost never fail in any brand, it’s pretty much a non-issue, it happens about as often as it rains frogs. Plywood is the industry standard and there are different grades, types and thicknesses used. Based on the cutaway shown, this is unremarkable construction.

Suspension and cushion construction are more important. 8-way suspension is the gold standard, and good foam is expensive. When a sofa fails it’s due to suspension collapse or cushion loss of resilience. Or the fabric simply wears out.

Your husband has set the bar low based on price, and that’s the worst way to buy a sofa, but many do exactly that. In upholstery, you usually get what you pay for. Good luck.
    Thanks Duane.
    So I guess the difference between Klaussner and Kincaid is cushion and foam, and maybe screwed vs staples plywood. Kincaid does offer a hand tied option. So what are the 5% that still offer a full frame? I know Hancock and Moore but that’s it.
    I want a frame that’s at least doweled or mortise and tenon.
    I’ve been scoping antiques too.

Solid wood frames that I know of, none of which will fall into a budget purchase:

Hancock and Moore (motion and Your Way excepted)
    Century Signature
    Leathercraft
    Council
    Karges
    Kindel
    Sherrill (some groups)

And there may be a few others.

A mortise and tenon sofa frame will be custom and probably five figures. That’s really overkill for anyone on a budget.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Solid wood frames that I know of, none of which will fall into a budget purchase:

Hancock and Moore (motion and Your Way excepted)
    Century Signature
    Leathercraft
    Council
    Karges
    Kindel
    Sherrill (some groups)

And there may be a few others.

A mortise and tenon sofa frame will be custom and probably five figures. That’s really overkill for anyone on a budget.

Thank you again.
    I guess I really don't need a very expensive sofa but i'd splurge for it. Gotta convince the hubby though.
    I keep scoping the antique centers too. I have a few items that I've reupholstered and i always try to buy old when I can. It just takes a while to find a good piece.