Thread: H&M Recliners - - Manual, Power & Your Way

Default H&M Recliners - - Manual, Power & Your Way

Just as many have commented on this forum, we also do not have a H&M retailer close by. It’s a two hour drive in one direction to find a retailer that carries H&M product and then it’s been disappointing to find only a few pieces. We did order a few H&M pieces through the Keeping Room last Fall which have recently been received and we’re now in the market for recliners. During one of our visits late last summer we did find a manual Ghent recliner which we both liked. As we learn more about recliner features, it’s prompted a few questions hoping the forum members can help with. I realize I could call Duane to discuss, but also know he’s swamped right now and encourages us to share general knowledge on the forum which may help others. So..., here goes the questions:

* Do the power and manual versions of the same recliner “sit” differently and, if so, could you explain the difference in the comfort levels?
    * Do the back and foot motions operate independently in the “standard” power recliners? (Note: I used the term standard to differentiate these from the Your Way power recliners).
    * IF the answer to the previous question is the foot and back do not operate independently, does the power version with the new AR feature offered in either the Ghent or Sami recliners have this independent functionality? (Since this is new, Duane may be the only forum member that can accurately answer this one).
    * There is a post from another forum member which detailed the advantages of having the AR along with pics of the viewing angles which I found very helpful. This was with a Your Way (YW36) power motion recliner. In one of our retail visits last summer, we were able to sit in a YW power reclining sofa. It was very comfortable, however, we were not looking to have this feature in a sofa due to the additional weight. What I do recall is that the recliner did not fully recline. The Sales Rep said that it’s actually considered an “incliner” and not a true recliner. Therefore, I’m wondering if this is the same case with the YW36 recliners or are they true recliners? Appreciate your confirmation on this.
    * Is the AR in the YW36 recliners the same AR being used in the new option for either the Ghent or Sami recliners? (Again, most likely need Duane to answer).

Thank you to all in advance!

Default Re: H&M Recliners - - Manual, Power & Your Way

We have an older YW36 that the arms I guess are not made anymore so are looking for a replacement(s). I'm kind of in the same spot, so maybe I can offer a bit of insight here. Compare H&M's site here:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...ating-Headrest
    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...Your-Way-Chair

That's the Ghent with articulating headrest compared to the YW36 with Ghent arms. Please note the big difference in the distance to wall to recline. The YW slides forward, whereas the Ghent lays back like a normal recliner. You can tell by the angle on the side, most chairs that recline back have a diagonal down on the back side. I think the reclining manual/power should feel the same in terms of incline, but I'm unsure if the manual has separate head/feet controls. If you look at the pictures in the link above, the Ghent with AHR has 4 controls. But if 2 are AR, then that means the other 2 are for recline, which implies both head/feet at same time.

There are pictures on the forum that show the amount of recline. See (http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...s-new-Oct-2017). Duane has a picture in the first post, and I have some on page 5.

If you intend to watch TV, then I'd recommend the AR. There are many other styles we like better, but it's a must have for us. Eliminates need for pillows.

Default Re: H&M Recliners - - Manual, Power & Your Way

* Do the power and manual versions of the same recliner “sit” differently

They do not.

* Do the back and foot motions operate independently in the “standard” power recliners?

No. It's one fluid motion controlled by one mechanism and motor.

* IF the answer to the previous question is the foot and back do not operate independently, does the power version with the new AR feature offered in either the Ghent or Sami recliners have this independent functionality?[/I]

The Articulating Headrest version operate only the headrest independently from the recliner portion of the chair.

* There is a post from another forum member which detailed the advantages of having the AR along with pics of the viewing angles which I found very helpful. This was with a Your Way (YW36) power motion recliner. In one of our retail visits last summer, we were able to sit in a YW power reclining sofa. It was very comfortable, however, we were not looking to have this feature in a sofa due to the additional weight. What I do recall is that the recliner did not fully recline. The Sales Rep said that it’s actually considered an “incliner” and not a true recliner. Therefore, I’m wondering if this is the same case with the YW36 recliners or are they true recliners?

The Your Way Series recliners (and the 200 / 900 series from Bradington Young) are true recliners not incliners (which virtually no one makes any more). They recline within the frame itself and the motion portion moves forward, not backwards as in a traditional mechanism. They are closer to being a Wall Hugger than an Incliner.

* Is the AR in the YW36 recliners the same AR being used in the new option for either the Ghent or Sami recliners?

They use different mechanisms however the function and result are the same.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.