Thread: La Z Boy Recliner keeps breaking a dowel that holds the base on

Default La Z Boy Recliner keeps breaking a dowel that holds the base on

I have replaced this one dowel at least 10 times. It is one of the 4 dowels that hold the base with the springs on. Are there harder dowels that I can get? I have been getting the ones from Lowes that say they are hardwood. For a while I wasn't gluing the dowels in because I wanted it to be easier to remove if it broke again but then I realized that not gluing allows the base to pull away from side of the recliner and allow space between the base and the recliner and allow more leverage to be put on the dowel which could contribute to snapping. The last one I did use wood glue but maybe I didn't use enough because it did look like the dowel had moved. I'm not sure what's going on. I couldn't find a dowel to fit the original hole when it broke the first time so I drilled the hold out for a larger dowel (7/16). Any suggestions? Thanks!

Default Re: La Z Boy Recliner keeps breaking a dowel that holds the base on

I can't address your specific question to the La-Z-Boy, however when using any kind of wood dowel there are guidelines to follow otherwise they will fail:

1) You ALWAYS glue a dowel. A non-glued dowel is useless.

2) Once glued, you must clamp it and let it dry. If you can't use a corner clamp or C-clamp, then a webbing clamp like a ratchet strap,etc. If you want a strong joint, it has to be clamped after glued and set.

3) Never "test-fit" a dowel or mortise and tenon joint. The test fit makes them less tight. If you are reusing an existing joint (sounds like you are) then you must drill the hole to a slightly larger size and get new dowels in the correct size. Use fluted dowels as they hold more glue.

4) If a dowel slips in easily, its too loose. They should have to be tapped in with a rubber mallet. Tight is right. Put the glue on them, tap them in, clamp them, and they will work as designed.
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-16-2021 at 03:26 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: La Z Boy Recliner keeps breaking a dowel that holds the base on

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I can't address your specific question to the La-Z-Boy, however when using any kind of wood dowel there are guidelines to follow otherwise they will fail:

1) You ALWAYS glue a dowel. A non-glued dowel is useless.

2) Once glued, you must clamp it and let it dry. If you can't use a corner clamp of C-clamp, then a webbing clamp like a ratchet strap,etc. If you want a strong joint, it has to be clamped.

3) Never "test-fit" a dowel or mortise and tenon joint. The test fit makes them less tight. If you are reusing an existing joint (sounds like you are) then you must drill the hole to a slightly larger size and get new dowels in the correct size. Use fluted dowels as they hold more glue.

4) If a dowel slips in easily, its too loose. They should have to be tapped in with a rubber mallet. Tight is right. Put the glue on them, tap them in, clamp them, and they will work as designed.
    Thanks for your input! Wish I had your advice when I first replaced the dowel