Thread: Kipling

puhmuckel Guest

Default Kipling

I have been thinking about the Kipling Whiskey that you have recommended to go on the Donovan. Went and checked out the Kipling in a store in SF and the Java really shows every little nick and scratch.

Is the Whiskey more forgiving and does it have any mottling in it that make it look country or moor masculine? They Java does not have any variations and I like that.

I am afraid with the dog and cat, especially after all of my 3 cushions of the Chancellor sofa were scratched up in the 1 st week, because WInki was scatching in a circle making his bed.

I noted that the Caress does not scatch easily, but I did not like any of the colors I ordered and it would be much more expensive as well.

What do you think I should do?

Default Re: Kipling

Here's my Kipling Whiskey recliner at my home after 2.5 years or so of ownership (not babied):

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ipling+whiskey

I don't find it particularly scratchy or that it shows nicks, but then again I have no pets up in the furniture, either.

Didn't we put Equestrian on your Chancellor sofa? Thats a very tough and resilient hide - I can't think of anything superior to standing up to pets than Equestrian unless we went into the Buffalo and Bison hides.

Caress is a class 2, same as Kipling. Its a monochromatic leather, so it has no high/low variance to it.

I called Tim Rogers at H&M on this (he's the President of H&M and the leather expert there). Tim says there really is nothing more durable than Equestrian. If you stay in protected leathers then the pets can and will scratch the topcoat. If you move into unprotected leathers then they will be less likely to scratch the surface, but the body oils from the pets are more likely to stain the leather.

What would I do? Me? I'd have a very small electric fence around my H&M and give ole Winki a tingle when he jumps up on the sofa.

Just kidding!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

puhmuckel Guest

Here is the picture of Mr. Winki on his sofa and the damage he has caused on all 3 cushions. I do like the color of the Kipling Whiskey as well as the price on the Donovan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010059.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	696   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010079.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	697  

OK, now I can see the scratches that Mr. Winki put in there. What you can do is get a soft gloss topcoat and simply wipe this over the scratches, and use a little # 0000 steel wool to even out the topcoat when it dries. You'll be surprised how much that will cover it up that way.

Call Danny at LeatherMagic and he will get you exactly what you need.

800-232-4092
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.