Thread: Sofa and two ottomans or two chaises?

Default Sofa and two ottomans or two chaises?

We are replacing our huge sectional which was way too big for the room.
    We are thinking sofa with two ottomans or a left and right arm chaise from put together to make a really big double chaise.
    I’m thinking the chaises would be more comfortable but the sofa ottoman combo easier to move around if needed?

Also thinking a big honking chair may not look as elegant?

Default Re: Sofa and two ottomans or two chaises?

Chaises are hot right now, however they form a barrier that requires you to walk around and are not always that comfortable as they shoot your legs straight out. Most people are more comfortable with a two inch drop from the seat height for their legs, hence ottomans that are 18” high.

What you are thinking of sounds like a giant day bed. Think twice about that.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I am not sure why you would have a sofa with two ottomans? Just do one 4' ottoman would be my recommendation.

What you are talking about with a chaise at both ends sounds weird to me. You would have a normal length typical 3 cushion sofa, but the two ends would be chaises instead of regular seats? So it would be a condensed U shape? I don't think that would be very comfortable, both from a perspective of having to always walk around it and from always having to put your feet up no matter what. Seems like it would dominate a space too.

I think sofa + ottoman to put your feet up when you want is pretty comfortable, but if you really want that lounging type-feel that a chaise has, either do just one end or what about just doing a reclining sofa instead? That way when you want to just sit normally you can, and it takes up less space than a chaise.

I don't think two ottomans in a large space sounds weird at all. I personally am more comfortable with my legs straight out than lower. If you have two people using the space who like to sit in a chaise, then the ability to make both ends into chaises actually makes sense. The ability to move one or both so you don't have to walk around them when they are not being used that way makes it more flexable. Some of the "bench" ottomans they make are quite long also. These ottomans can be used in the same way, one at a time or both.

I find men in particular for some reason, alhtough some women as well, are more likely not to like their feet out straight. Some people love to work on their computers, read and watch TV in bed. Others do not. Those that do, are comfortable with a flat surface and not having their legs lower than the seat. It really isn't that uncommon. Just isn't for everyone. The idea that they could use the sofa that way but also move one or both ottomans away to a coffee table type position or even off to the side or as an extra bench seat or removed when they wanted to seems like a versatile solution to me. I know someone who has sectional with a chaise at one end plus an ottoman, and you know what? I recently saw a picture of her on that sofa with the ottoman but right next to the chaise to make a large "double" chaise or "day bed" and she was on it with her two boys reading and cuddling. They looked quite comfortable, every one of them.

Different people are simply comfortable in different positions, and have different life styles and enjoy different things. If getting on the chaise or bed with your significant other or children and cuddling up to read or watch TV is something you enjoy doing often and you have a room large enough to accommodate it, then it makes sense to take that into account when you buy furniture, IMHO.

Might not be house beautiful magazine style, or then it might, lol, but if it works for you and your family, I say go for it.

JMHO.

We had a chaser end on a past couch. In the end we decided to go with a sectional. Could still use like a chase. But also worked as seating