Thread: Fabric Durability

Default Fabric Durability

I am close to finalizing my decision to order Taylor King/Taylor Made Tall Sectional. I am concerned that the fabric will be as durable as possible..I am reading that polyester content is not optimal. I am considering the fabric Taran Dune which is Grade 30...64% poly, 36% olefin, exceeds 51,000 rub....am I choosing a durable fabric?

Default Re: Fabric Durability

Quote Originally Posted by IrisRM View Post
    I am close to finalizing my decision to order Taylor King/Taylor Made Tall Sectional. I am concerned that the fabric will be as durable as possible..I am reading that polyester content is not optimal. I am considering the fabric Taran Dune which is Grade 30...64% poly, 36% olefin, exceeds 51,000 rub....am I choosing a durable fabric?
    I believe that is a performance fabric. I too have been searching for fabric. It seems the performance fabrics do not go as high in double-rub counts as some others. For instance the Navarro's are listed at 100,000 double rubs but are not performance. However, the performance fabrics claim to give the protection for spills and stains. I believe that a Grade 30 is on the higher end and might be where performance fabrics price at. I am considering Rollo Zinc. It appears to be in a grayish beige color. I am very unsure though. It is so hard to see a swatch and then imagine it on a sofa.

The velvets are going to give you the highest rub values 100,000+. Maybe look at Crypton's "Henry" velvets.

As rub values go up, you can typically lose the “hand” and softness of the fabric. Balance the durability rating with softness and suppleness. 100,000 double rubs is basically scratchy commercial grade, is that what you really want? I would avoid upholstery use on 15,000 rubs or less, the sweet spot seems to be 25,000 to 60,000 double rubs for residential uses.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.