A bit over 5 years ago I purchased a leather loveseat manufactured by Flexsteel and was in their “Latitudes Collection” series from a local retailer. As I was straightening a cotton throw I normally keep on the seat cushions, I noticed what I thought was a smudge of some sort. Upon closer examination it appears to be the leather pulling away!

I’m in somewhat disbelief because although the loveseat is frequently used, I am primarily the only user - - empty nesters for around 10 years. The loveseat has never been abused, no harsh cleaners ever used and the cotton throw was meant to add a layer of protection since it’s a lighter color (I do drink a cup of coffee now and again while sitting on this furniture).

I have learned so much reading this forum and know there’s always more to learn. People have been so helpful! I found the tags (along with my receipt) and there is absolutely no mention of what type of leather this is. Searching the Flexsteel website, it states: “Flexsteel uses only higher quality semi-aniline and pigmented leathers to ensure longevity, yet keep our furniture affordable.” I assume that the leather used on my Flexsteel loveseat is their pigmented (i.e. protected) leather. Has anyone had this type of experience with protected leathers? I am looking at ordering a couple Handcock and Moore (H&M) pieces with protected leather and am concerned if this could happen with H&M pieces. Knowing there’s only a handful of overseas leather tanneries for upholstery, how can a consumer be assured a leather piece won’t have issues when properly taken care of? I’ve seen posted pics of H&M pieces with protected leather that have worn on the welts, but not pulled-away like I’m witnessing on the Flexsteel. Any recommendations on what can be done with the Flexsteel to repair and/or stop

In the phots attached is the loveseat, the cushion area of this area and a close up shot of the area. The close up shot allows a better view of what the leather is doing. Appreciate your insight and help!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FBEBEF77-062B-449E-9043-99C042EB40E8.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	13791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37481647-6168-49C5-9EC3-DB4E3FE64F2B.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	13792Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012B4F1B-A6D0-4670-971F-4B126218FFDA.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	13793