Thread: H&M Ottoman/Bench

Default H&M Ottoman/Bench

Hello everyone,

If anyone has experience choosing Hancock and Moore ottomans, would love opinions. We have a beautiful Hancock and Moore Chesterfield sofa...there are no words to describe its beauty...took my breath away at first sight of it in the delivery truck! We’re looking for an ottoman/cocktail bench...
    Plantation and Roberts. I like the Chancellor as well, but it’s too long I believe, and too much..style-wise. I don’t want to compete with the beautiful Chesterfield. I like the 024 Tufted Plantation, but think it may be a tad too big, the 043 Plantation bench may work..loved the great looking Gator Taupe photos of it here from years ago, and also like the 056 Roberts...37 x 37 is such a nice size.
    Would love to hear any opinions of these three. Our Chesterfield has cushion seats, so I think a tufted ottoman will be a nice balance with its back and arm tufting. Thank you for any ideas.

Default Re: H&M Ottoman/Bench

We have the Chancellor and it works great with our three cushion couch (H&M September). The 44" length is a good size for a regular couch, sometimes I wish it was more like 48". I think your Chesterfied is a little smaller inside vs the September but not a lot. I think 37" would be too small, you'd be constantly moving it from one end to the other when people want to put their feet up.

We also have a H&M Chesterfield in the same room (the sleeper version) but separated a bit into a different area. Ours has a tufted cushion seat, but since yours is non-tufted I agree that a tufted ottoman would probably tie in nicely with the arms and back. The trick will be getting a complimentary color. FWIW, the wood carving on the Chancellor is kind of understated, at least on the color combo we have. I wouldn't worry about it looking too fussy unless you pick some color that really makes it or the nails stand out.

Keep in mind as well, that H&M operates their own frame plant, so the can customize the size of ottomans.

For most Chesterfields, the 37" square is too large. I prefer to use one more like this:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Products/Detail/?SKU=079
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you, Danw99. Your reply covered all my concerns, and I appreciate your time very much. Now I can say that the Chancellor was my first choice...thought it just beautiful, but had talked myself out of it, thinking it was too wide...therefore, my questions about the Plantation and Roberts....but there’s no comparison.
    And I appreciate your opinion with the carving...I was rationalizing that too...that it might be too busy when really it’s perfect. Thank you...personal experience with the Chesterfield and Chancellor is very helpful.
    Last edited by Gentleman Jack; 04-30-2021 at 11:17 PM.

I have a plantation ottoman in cayman that was customized to have more modern legs and it looks fantastic. We wanted the extra depth to accommodate the L-shape layout of the sofa and chairs. Our sofa is a 8.5' long highlands, so the ottoman doesn't appear too big. In fact, I wouldn't mind if it were longer because we do end up pulling it side to side.

I found this about determining the right size ottoman to go with a sofa: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/36...e-ottoman-size

It says 2/3 to 3/4 the length of your sofa. For the chesterfield sofa, that would be 51-57. If you go by inside width instead of overall width, it would be 40-45.

That explains why I think my ottoman isn't wide enough; by that calculation, my ottoman should be at least 68" wide! Hmmm...from using it for 7y...I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Jack View Post
    Hello everyone,

If anyone has experience choosing Hancock and Moore ottomans, would love opinions. We have a beautiful Hancock and Moore Chesterfield sofa...there are no words to describe its beauty...took my breath away at first sight of it in the delivery truck! We’re looking for an ottoman/cocktail bench...
    Plantation and Roberts. I like the Chancellor as well, but it’s too long I believe, and too much..style-wise. I don’t want to compete with the beautiful Chesterfield. I like the 024 Tufted Plantation, but think it may be a tad too big, the 043 Plantation bench may work..loved the great looking Gator Taupe photos of it here from years ago, and also like the 056 Roberts...37 x 37 is such a nice size.
    Would love to hear any opinions of these three. Our Chesterfield has cushion seats, so I think a tufted ottoman will be a nice balance with its back and arm tufting. Thank you for any ideas.
    The author ottoman looks great next to my tavern sofa with a perfect drop in height to place your legs on it. I'm also waiting for a campaign cocktail ottoman to come to compliment the RH style sofa in a different room.