Thread: Order Times are no joke

Default Order Times are no joke

I am seeing quite a lot of people who are skeptical of the order times on their new furniture they order, and don't "really" believe me when I say 5 to 6 months. It's across the entire industry, and your order is not going to get here quicker, nor is calling about it frequently going to speed it up.

Today (June 15, 2021) an order shipped that was sent in on December 23, 2020. That's one week shy of 6 months.

And the transport industry....<headache>. Your order will not deliver fast either. This article in the Washington Post today. Entitled "The Seven Industries Most Desperate for Workers". If you don't want to read it, or can't open it, Truckers and Movers are two of the seven.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ker-shortages/

I am currently quoting December deliveries for all orders placed this month across all makers. Any dealer that tells you they can get it quicker - well - .....

HOWEVER, several of my customers are electing to make mini-vacations and opting out of paid deliveries and going to the factories to pick up themselves. That will save several weeks time. Be sure to bring enough truck if you do, most this won't fit in your SUV.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Order Times are no joke

I think people are hoping with the vaccines and the country opening back up things will start moving more. The freezing temps in Texas are long gone. People are gradually headed back into offices and other jobs. Some states are opting out of generous unemployment benefits trying to get more people back to work. I think people are thinking things will start to ease up sooner than 6 months from now. But things don't seem to be getting any better yet. I know you predicted delays will last the rest of the year and maybe into next year, but even if they are not back to normal people just think it will or should start to gradually improve. So maybe that piece of furniture will be here in October instead of November of December. It doesn't sound like an issue that is going to return to normal all of a sudden. But you don't expect any improvement at all for the rest of the year? Or just can't guaranty it?

I know I have been looking for a used filing cabinet for a while. Not in any rush and new office furniture is priced high and often out of stock if it is nice. But just in the last week or two I have suddenly seen newer pieces up for sale locally. Again, people are heading back to offices. So they might not need that big new file cabinet they bought for the home office any more.

Default Re: Order Times are no joke

Oh no, I can't guarantee anything unless I have the item in my hands, as I have no control over production or even shipping times.

Orders have not slowed down, they are still rolling in and adding to the backlogs, so until there is an ease in the number of new orders, you won't see build times improving. Foam continues to be the # 1 problem, producers are on allocations and getting appx 40% of what they request. In many cases, where the factories have room, they have built the frames, sewn the covers and have set all aside in storage awaiting foam for upholstery items. The Foam plants in Texas were heavily damaged from the freeze and while back producing, can't meet demand.

That is also why you see a suspension of "sales" and even dealers cannot get a "deal" price on anything. It's regular price which is why I literally laugh when I see or hear furniture store ads touting "BIG SALE". There are no promotional sales in the industry, no one can produce or supply, so that's just a store trying to add orders to their backlogs beating that SALE drum and I'm sure there are suckers that fall for it.

The furniture makers are acutely aware of both consumer and dealer frustrations with the backlogs. It's the topic of conversation every day within management of these suppliers and their stated goal for the rest of 2021 and early 2022 is to try to get wait times down, not create new items or promotions. They all want to reduce the backlogs and are all grateful for the orders, its as frustrating for them as it is everyone else.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.