Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pricing For a Leather Sofa

nhpinnacles Guest

Question Pricing For a Leather Sofa

Hi Duane,

Do you know how the Tall Jim style # 4887 sits? I am looking for a large sofa but am a bit worried about the comfort of a tight back. The other styles I am looking at are the Sundance 4717, the Rugby Club 5261 or the September 9749. I really like the two seats of the tall though. What are your thoughts on these styles? The leather I want is the Capri Butternut.

Thanks Susan

Default Re: pricing /sofa

Hi Susan,

Ahhhh....Capri Butternet is luxury defined. I have a Sundance on my sales floor in that leather - its the one everyone goes to when they first walk in.

The Sundance and Rugby have similar feels to them. Both have slightly more back pitch than some of the other H&M pieces which appeals to some, not so much to others. Shorter folks don't like the pitch much as it sits them too far back in the sofas and their legs dangle.

I'm not personally tried out a Tall Jim as its a newer market introduction, but I generally like tight backs for the firmness. They keep their shape well and never look 'rumpled'. You *may* get some leather stretching visible on a pieces such as this however. I would expect that to be more upright than Sundance and Rugby. I can make a call to H&M and find out if you like.

September is always a top selling sofa. I think we have more forum members with September sofas than any other model, and everyone seems to be pleased with them. They tend to sit slighty soft, but not mushy. Good size for many spaces.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

nhpinnacles Guest

Thanks Duane,

I have found a store about an hour from me that has a Sundance on the floor and will head over there this week and try it out. I saw the photo of ypour floor model and love it! I would be looking for two sofa's. regarding the leather color would it matter if I bought your floor model and ordreded a second? I am making calls trying to find a Tall Jim but if it is a newer model I may not get lucky again.

what would the shipping charge from VA to NH be?

Thanks Again Susan

Susan,

I have an excellent price on my floor model as I was able to get it in Capri (Gr 4) at a special promo price they were running on Capri only for dealers that would put it to the floor (not allowed to sell direct to customers at the promo price, they wanted exposure on the floor for premium leathers). However, two potential issues:

1) Hide match. Capri can be a bit tricky to match hides for a second one. Its reasonably consistent, but if an exact dye lot match is critical the the only way to get that is to order a pair at the same time - regardless what anyone might tell you. You would need to have a 10% tolerance variance from one to another.

2) Shipping. It would be more expensive since the industry is set up to take from H&M right to your house in a box. The truck would have to stop by my store on the way to you and take the bare sofa (of course it would be wrapped, but still would be out of the carton). It would add probably $ 100 to the overall shipping vs. sending a pair direct (just a guess).

Prices:

So you have an idea:

# 4716 Sundance Sofa in GR 4 (Capri): $ 5,124 each

My floor model is priced at $ 4,462.

Shipping on a pair of Sundances to NH would run appx. $ 450. I don't have my rate sheets at home where I am answering this, but I know I'm within 10% based on experience.

One other caveat. The Sundance is a large sofa. You have to have 35" doorways or larger to get this into your home. It will not fit through less than a 35" opening. It's deep, and its heavy. One of the hardest sofas in the H&M line to deliver because of the bulk and heft.

Tall Jim is going to be hard to locate. Its not come up on promotion since market introduction and most dealers (including myself) usually stock the floor with promotional pieces - that way we get them in and out quicker so they are less likely to get shopworn.
    Duane Collie

nhpinnacles Guest

Hi Duane,
    I am looking for your advice on my sofa decision. I love the capri butternut but I am hesitant because the sofa would sit in front of a wall of floor to ceiling windows. I like the equestrian but am concerned about the squeaking noise I have read about.

Should I stay away from the capri because of the fading and other sun effects on the leather? I could instead use it on a recliner that would sit further back in the room but wonder if it is durable enough for a motion chair.

Would the equestrian be a better choice and does it lose the noise factor and become softer as it ages? Or would you recommend a different leather altogether from these two. I am looking for 2 sofa's and two chairs for my family room. I like the sundance sofa and the journey recliner and prefer a low sheen leather.

Thanks Susan

Default Re: Pricing for a Sofa

I think that awareness of what can occur is an important aspect in ordering various hides on pieces. I would not necessarily avoid Capri, but you need to know that it can, and will, fade in direct sunlight as will any pure aniline. This fading is very gradual, but it does occur. If you know it can happen, then you can take steps to correct it, especially if its indirect sunlight rather then direct beam. There are leather 'sunscreens SPF90' that can be sprayed on an aniline that will help considerably. You can also put solar tint film on the windows tha block UV light. I would say avoid all pure anilines in a porch sunroom where direct sunlight is on the pieces four to six hours a day but other than that, if you keep an eye on things you may not have too many fade issues.

Equestrian is squeaky! I don't like it for motion pieces as they are always on the move, but for stationary pieces it may not be objectionable. And if you get a tad too much noise, a little talc powder where the rub is quiets it considerably. In my experience, most leathers do not really soften much over time, or at least not enough to count on them in doing so.

Most recliners and motion furniture get used more heavily than stationary pieces. For that reason I usually like to recommend leathers that have some topcoating on them, but having said that I have plenty of customers who will cover them in the finer leathers. A lot depends on your lifestyle, and how much food/drink is brought in the room and so on. Almost all the hides that have protection on them will have some level of sheen on them (that's the protective topcoating).. So if you want low sheen and a better hide are you willing to keep the greasy popcorn off the furniture to avoid a potential grease stain?
    Duane Collie

nhpinnacles Guest

Duane thank you for the advice. I am back and forth still between the two. I really love the capri butternut but the equestrian would make more sense with the sun issue and my dog who likes to sleep on the sofa.

Do you have or know of any photos on H & M's website that show the Equestrian Merlot? And also if I do go with the butternut what color would complement it in a recliner?

Thanks Susan

You might also consider Antelope. It is a grade 3 with protection and a very nice leather (although it does have some sheen with the protection). There are photos of Antelope in the Photo Gallery.

This decision gets so much into your personal preferences that its really hard for me to say 'this is the right choice' for you and your household. Ask yourself these questions:

1) Do you want to be able to bring most any food into the room and eat on the sofa/ or recliners without worry?

2) If you were to get a small stain on the piece (permanent) would it bother you tremendously?

3) Are you willing to invest more time in caring for the furniture if need be and perhaps buy solar UV film for your windows?

4) Are you willing to train your dog to stay off the sofa?

Those are the questions you should ask yourself honestly before considering Capri ( if answered "yes" to the first two, and 'no' to the last two, then Capri is not for you).

If we rule out the fine, soft, low-sheen pure anilines (Capri, Quintessence, Montana) then my short list if nice hides I would consider would be:

* Equestrian (mind the squeaks!)
    * Antelope
    * Fenway
    * Milan (one dark brown color only)
    * Kipling (Whiskey will have nearly the same color tone as Capri Butternut)
    * Garfield
    * Upton (one dark brown color only)

As to complimenting colors for Capri Butternut, its hard to say without seeing your whole room environment, but just from leather to leather, any Dark Brown or Chestnut (reddish brown) would be my choice for the companion pieces.

One of our forum members has a photo of her Chancellor sofa here at this site and as I recall (don't hole me to it!) its in Equestrian Merlot.

http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-spac...si?oid=6840143
    Duane Collie

janycer Guest

Thanks for posting that link Duane. That is an absolutely beautiful Chancellor sofa. My thought processes are spinning!