Thread: Burnished vs. non-burnished pull-up leathers

Threaded View

Default Burnished vs. non-burnished pull-up leathers

Hi all - I'm considering purchasing two chairs for our living space, Tightmoore and Ashmore, and I'm trying to settle on the leather choice. I've narrowed it down to either a classic Italian pull-up like Tuscany Harness or a burnished leather like Hyde Park Brownie. I unfortunately don't have the ability to look at upholstered pieces in person, so I'm trying to get a sense for what these types of leathers feel like.

In general, how do non-burnished pull-up leathers like the Tuscany series feel in comparison with burnished leathers? I understand that burnishing starts with a pull-up leather, but then it gets sanded, toned, and sealed. Does this process give it a stiffer feel than the non-burnished pull-ups? Are they still comfortable to sit in? Can you still end up with a piece that has that "sink-in" comfort, or are these leathers best for a more firm seating experience?

I like the look of the burnished leathers more, and all things being equal I'll probably go Hyde Park Brownie. But since I'm buying sight unseen, I'd hate to find out that the leather is stiffer or more uncomfortable than expected.

I've noted Duane's previous advice here and will be using ultra down cores in either case in an attempt to offset any stiffness in these leathers.

Thank you - James
    Last edited by jmd172; 06-21-2021 at 11:22 AM.