Thread: Flexsteel blue steel springs?

Terri Guest

Default Flexsteel blue steel springs?

Can someone give me some information on the "blue steel seat springs" that have replaced the traditional springs in the Flexsteel furniture? And if anyone owns a piece with these springs, I'd like to know what experiences you have had with them. I was surprised to see them and I'm a little skeptical.

Default Re: Flexsteel blue steel springs?

They've been used by Flexsteel for years. They are nothing more than a series of torsion spring lined up in a row, and likely will outlast any other component of the sofa. If you like the way they feel, no need for any concern on longevity or performance.

The 8-Way Hand-Tied Coil Spring will always be the gold standard for upholstery, however.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

The Flexsteel blue steel spring is close to 100 years old. It is the strongest, most durable type of spring made. The reason that Flexsteel is the only manufacturer using this spring is that the equipment needed to make the spring is incredibly expensive, and the spring itself is probably the most expensive type of spring available next to 8-way hand-tied.

I have heard claims from Flexsteel employees that there has never been a failure of the blue steel spring, however I did see a broken spring once on a sofa being reupholstered,, but I'm sure that was a very unusual case.

Incidentally, in the 1980s, Flexsteel sued the US government for not allowing it to compete on a contract calling for 8-way hand-tied coils. The result of the lawsuit was that the blue steel spring was accepted as equivalent to 8-way hand-tied coils.

denali Guest

I have a Flexsteel couch and Loveseat that we bought in 1979. It has the blue steel springs and is still going strong. Had it reupholstered once only b/c it was orange.