Thread: H & M Westwood 2062 Back Cushions Uncomfortable/Too Full/Firm-Best Replacement?

Default H & M Westwood 2062 Back Cushions Uncomfortable/Too Full/Firm-Best Replacement?

I have a brand new Hancock and Moore Westwood Tilt Back #2062. The seat is fine under me but unfortunately the part of the chair with the two cushions which my back leans on is very uncomfortable for me. It hurts my back if I sit on it for more than about 20 minutes.This is obviously quite disturbing for such a fine and expensive chair.It is currently the least comfortable piece of furniture in my house.The back cushions feel too firm and too full.I'm skinny, hard and bony, 6’ & 168 lb., and my shoulder blades stick out like wings, so cushions that may be okay for bigger people tend to be too firm and full for me.I didn't specify different cushions when ordering, so it presumably has the standard ones, which I think are Fiber Plush.

The two back cushions as I said are definitely too full and firm for me.All the weight of my back is being supported in only two places when I sit in the chair in a fairly upright position, which is how I will use it 99% of the time. The lumbar pillow hits about 4” above my belt line, and the upper pillow hits only on my shoulder blades. It's like all the weight of my back is being supported by 2 pool noodles. This causes my back to remain tense, it can't relax. I feel like I should be able to sink into the chair more. If anyone has this chair or the somewhat similar Austin tilt back, I would like to know if they feel whether they can sink back somewhat into the chair. I realize that if you sink in too far it doesn't support you. But this seems to be way too far the other way.

I'm going to sit on the chair for a month or so and see if it breaks in. If it continues to be this uncomfortable, I guess my next step is to order replacement cushions.

The back cushion options I feel might be softer are Ultra down and premium white Goose feather and down. I also see Qualux, which I am guessing might be even firmer and not the best choice.I am wondering which replacement cushions would be softer, less full and firm?

I would be very grateful for anybody's recommendation on which replacement cushions for the back might be better, and why. Thanks in advance for any help.

I wasn't able to try the chair out before I ordered it because there were none within hundreds of miles of me. Covid was raging and it didn't feel safe to travel farther. I took a leap of faith and thought this is about the best chair from the best company there is, it's got to be comfortable right? I hope and feel this issue is fixable.
    Last edited by Carolina guy; 10-10-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Default Re: H & M Westwood 2062 Back Cushions Uncomfortable/Too Full/Firm-Best Replacement?

It's always hard to say I have a definitive solution for you, but it's difficult when it comes to comfort. While the back cores will break in a little, because they are fiber fill they will not have a dramatic difference as does the seat. What I would do is contact your selling dealer and ask then to order Ultra down inserts for the back. You will have a charge for that, but is should be under $ 200. It may not fix your issue, but there are not many other options. Qualux no - Goose feather and down maybe - but that will really flatten out with use. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: H & M Westwood 2062 Back Cushions Uncomfortable/Too Full/Firm-Best Replacement?

Thanks for the response. Is it abnormal to feel like the chair is only pushing against you at two points, and normal to be able to sink into it more so your back can relax?

We have a Westwood non-tilt chair with ultradown. Felt real comfortable if a bit firm in the beginning. Then my wife used it to sit upright in for about 2 weeks with covid. The back lower areas definitely broke in more at that point, now it doesn't feel firm at all. Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by sam_g View Post
    We have a Westwood non-tilt chair with ultradown. Felt real comfortable if a bit firm in the beginning. Then my wife used it to sit upright in for about 2 weeks with covid. The back lower areas definitely broke in more at that point, now it doesn't feel firm at all. Hope that helps!
    Thank you, that does help, because the Ultra down is my top candidate for replacement cushions.
    Last edited by Carolina guy; 10-11-2021 at 05:56 PM.

Sorry to hear it isn't comfortable, I am sure that is disappointing. Hopefully you can get a solution without waiting for months.

It all comes down to personal preferences. For example, I think a standard fiber fill Westwood is fantastically comfortable, and you do not. There is no right or wrong, just what feels good to you.
    Duane Collie

That is very true.The reason I was wondering if you sink into it when you sit on it is that I was wondering if there might be something wrong with mine, maybe a defective overstuffed cushion or something like that.
    The other thing I wondered about is whether it had the right amount of Fiber plush stuffing, but there was a bad batch that came out too hard?
    Last edited by Carolina guy; 10-12-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Like anything, you can get a batch made incorrectly. It's rare but it happens.

Your selling dealer can order you free replacements under warranty.
    Duane Collie