Thread: Do the better brands make reclining styles similar to Omnia? I like their look.

Question Do the better brands make reclining styles similar to Omnia? I like their look.

I really do want to spend the extra money on some of the better brands named here, ie; Hancock & Moore, Leathercraft, Bradington Young, etc. HOWEVER, I haven’t seen any styles that I like with either of the companies. And yet, I really like several styles that Omnia has in reclining sofas and recliner chairs. I also prefer a waterfall type cushion in front where the reclining piece is attached. I don’t care for a gap between where my feet and legs rest. Why do these high end brands always have that gap configuration? I really like the Connor style sofa/recliner by Omnia. Or even the Cornell which looks the same without the decorative nails. There are a few other styles I also like. Do ANY of these other higher end companies make similar looking furniture? Some of their styles are so modern looking. Or maybe remind me of mid century. Just not my style. I wish I could insert a photo of the Connor style by Omnia here. I love that look and yet I don’t want to sacrifice quality. You mentioned Omnia being mid-low end. We just want something that will last. I’m sitting on an almost 28-year old leather Lane Action recliner still in great condition. I wouldn’t touch that brand now. But this recliner was made back when some of those old brands had a little more quality in their workmanship. I would like to find a brand that I can be sitting in 20-25 years from now and still say that it works. Aside from quality leather, I want the reclining mechanism to hang in there for a good while. I’ve never had power reclining or motion except in my car. It sure would be easier on my shoulder and body, in general.
    So, my question is: Should I buy Omnia if I really do like the looks and feel of their styles vs buying a step above in brands but not really liking their styles? Is Omnia THAT bad in comparison? Or do some of these other top of the line brands have some styles they just aren’t showing on their website? Or maybe they can make one similar? What if I showed them what I’m looking for? Do you think they can mimic that style? Thanks!

Default Re: Do the better brands make reclining styles similar to Omnia? I like their look.

The Omni Conner is a simple bustle back unit that you can replicate by configuring a Hancock and Moore Your Way series motion piece, or the 900 or 200 series from Bradington-Young. They are not waterfall cushions however. Personally I don't see the advantage to that enclosed look, those are easy to rip the stitches out of with a misplaced foot, that won't occur in the open designs. You won't find anyone making you a one-off design unless you are very wealthy and willing to spend 5x the price for a full custom.

It's possible to get 20 - 25 years out of a motion piece, however you as the owner have to be willing to take care of it. That means no direct sunlight placement (or have Low E windows or UV coatings on your windows), Clean and condition the leather every 6 months without fail, and do not get in and out of the recliner when its open (I see many people do this all the time, it makes the rivets pop and eventually you will have to replace the mechanism). Also, any plug in motion piece should have a surge protector on it.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/YourWay/Motion

https://storage.googleapis.com/micro...nd-options.pdf
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Do the better brands make reclining styles similar to Omnia? I like their look.

I don't like the open look either. You may not get the advantages but it doesn't address why no one does it. I suppose that is not really a question you can answer though. I would really like to see them start offering something like that. Personally, I wonder if isn't just cheaper to make with a smaller foot rest that has to be wrapped in leather.

Thank you, Duane. I guess I’ve just been lucky with this Lane Action recliner and waterfall cushion these 27.5 years. No issues at all. I have bad knees and for some reason the cushions/footrests with the gap bother my knees, as if there isn’t enough support in the middle. It just feels more comfy on my legs all around. Cozier. Like a chaise lounge. The gap design looks incomplete to me. I DO prefer the box cushion style for stationery sofas and chairs, however.

So now I’m torn. Do I buy the H&M or BY with a bustle back, but WITHOUT the waterfall cushions? I also like the substantial rounded arm rests with nail heads. OR do I “settle” for the box cushions and gap where my knees rest with the ‘better’ brands? But, if taken care of, will that Connor line of Omnia last us for awhile? This furniture won’t be in direct sun and we have lowE windows throughout. This leather chair I’m sitting in has been a workhorse. Anyway, I guess I just need your honest opinion regarding the Omnia and desire to have that waterfall cushion. Is it THAT bad of a brand that I should avoid? Also, is power reclining a good choice? Seems like it would be gentler on the reclining mechanism vs manually jerking the handle up and down continuously.

Thank you so much! It’s frustrating trying to find reclining furniture that is both comfortable, nice looking AND quality!

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The Omni Conner is a simple bustle back unit that you can replicate by configuring a Hancock and Moore Your Way series motion piece, or the 900 or 200 series from Bradington-Young. They are not waterfall cushions however. Personally I don't see the advantage to that enclosed look, those are easy to rip the stitches out of with a misplaced foot, that won't occur in the open designs. You won't find anyone making you a one-off design unless you are very wealthy and willing to spend 5x the price for a full custom.

It's possible to get 20 - 25 years out of a motion piece, however you as the owner have to be willing to take care of it. That means no direct sunlight placement (or have Low E windows or UV coatings on your windows), Clean and condition the leather every 6 months without fail, and do not get in and out of the recliner when its open (I see many people do this all the time, it makes the rivets pop and eventually you will have to replace the mechanism). Also, any plug in motion piece should have a surge protector on it.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/YourWay/Motion

https://storage.googleapis.com/micro...nd-options.pdf

SueCT,

I’m actually a bit surprised that the open design seems to be the norm with the higher end brands. If anything, I would think having no gap would give it a richer look. For some reason, I’ve always equated that open design as something done on “cheaper” brands. Or that it was outdated since those were the types I grew up around. As you said, it could. E a way to save money?

EDIT: The link didn’t come up, so I deleted it. I had compared three B-Y styles side by side. The Reece in 200 series seems to be my favored style of the three. The others were Discovery and Robinson, 900 and 200 series respectively.

Duane, what do you think of these styles by BY? Of these three, I like the Reece. I notice it’s in the 200s, as you mentioned. Also, the Luxe for Living describes it as the “married” type. Is that a disadvantage? Will the leather still be as good? NOT from China!?

Also what is Luxury Motion vs Luxe For Living? Is the first one better quality because it’s not the “married” type?

Quote Originally Posted by APairAndaSpare View Post
    Thank you, Duane. I guess I’ve just been lucky with this Lane Action recliner and waterfall cushion these 27.5 years. No issues at all. I have bad knees and for some reason the cushions/footrests with the gap bother my knees, as if there isn’t enough support in the middle. It just feels more comfy on my legs all around. Cozier. Like a chaise lounge. The gap design looks incomplete to me. I DO prefer the box cushion style for stationery sofas and chairs, however.

So now I’m torn. Do I buy the H&M or BY with a bustle back, but WITHOUT the waterfall cushions? I also like the substantial rounded arm rests with nail heads. OR do I “settle” for the box cushions and gap where my knees rest with the ‘better’ brands? But, if taken care of, will that Connor line of Omnia last us for awhile? This furniture won’t be in direct sun and we have lowE windows throughout. This leather chair I’m sitting in has been a workhorse. Anyway, I guess I just need your honest opinion regarding the Omnia and desire to have that waterfall cushion. Is it THAT bad of a brand that I should avoid? Also, is power reclining a good choice? Seems like it would be gentler on the reclining mechanism vs manually jerking the handle up and down continuously.

Thank you so much! It’s frustrating trying to find reclining furniture that is both comfortable, nice looking AND quality!
    Last edited by APairAndaSpare; 11-30-2021 at 03:19 PM.

That is why I prefer an ottoman that is just as high as the chair/sofa rather than a few inches lower as Duane has said the past most people prefer. I also need that support under my knees or it gets uncomfortable pretty quickly.

Exactly. And this is where I have a “dilemma”. Go with the decent brand Omnia which offers the waterfall type cushion and footrest I want OR pay even more for the higher end brand recliners with those darn gap-footrests. I guess I want someone like Duane to make that decision for me. Ha! I suppose I just want to be reassured that if I DID go with Omnia I wasn’t making a huge mistake and instead I should have compromised on leg comfort for the “better made” brands.

Quote Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
    That is why I prefer an ottoman that is just as high as the chair/sofa rather than a few inches lower as Duane has said the past most people prefer. I also need that support under my knees or it gets uncomfortable pretty quickly.

I don't know Omnia enough to give you a definitive suggestion on it. No one at Hancock and Moore is really familiar with them, either (I called). There are hundreds of makers - I would suggest getting hands on experience with one and not simply on-line order one. You can tell pretty quickly if the quality is there if you see it in person. If I had one in front of me, I could get you an opinion on the build in three or four minutes on it. As for the "Waterfall" cushion, they don't offer that at H&M, seems they don't like the style of it. At the last Market, I recall Bradington Young offering two or three recliners in that style as new items, but I don't recall the models nor did I photo them.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.