Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B-Y Married Leather program vs USA made brands

Default Re: B-Y Married Leather program vs USA made brands

Sue, it’s funny you mentioned Omnia growing leaps and bounds from when it was just a small company. My own local guy said the same thing, and in fact, he said that he feels we’re hitting a sweet spot now before they grow even MORE. He said in 10 years time, who knows where they’ll be or if he’ll even be carrying it IF he doesn’t like what he sees. But for now, he feels good about selling me a power reclining sofa and recliner. I’m adding #35 extra firm HR 2.0 cushions and a Grade 3 aniline plus full grain leather. By the way, the two pieces together will be $7,890 (that’s with our 9% tax) and $55 white glove delivery. So even the power recliner is closer to 3k. Closer to 5k for the power reclining sofa.

I’ll include a description of my leather. I prefer aniline with an added top coat for a bit more protection, hence the “plus”. These will be our everyday/sometimes all day furniture. I might choose differently when we replace our stationery furniture in the living room. Doesn’t get as much use at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F974F414-5DB9-443D-97AE-0928A8A1F843.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	14231

Quote Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
    Maybe by now you have read that thread and realize there are many assumptions in your questions that are not actually true. H&M does NOT use all hides from China. As Duane said you take your choice with H&M and can get hides from all over the world. They are from China, from Italy, from Brazil, from lots of places. They are painted, they are fully dyed, they are whatevery you want based on the leather YOU pick. There are no hides tanned in the US any more. I would also be very suprised if every hide in Omnia comes from the same place unless there simply are not that many choices. So you are making assumptions based on articles with inaccurate information. Where, by the way, did you get the information that Omnia does not use leather from China? I could not see that anywhere on their website and could not find anything about where each leather is sourced from, and they are NOT tanned in the US since there basically isn't any done here for any manufacturer. Even if they use European leathers ghat does not mean they don't also use Chinese leathers. H&M uses European leathers too. But not ALL of their leathers are from one place. I think honestly, as much as you WANT to believe it is the case, you are not going to get a well built sofa with a top quality European hide for 2000.00. So some of that information is clearly not accurate. How do I know? I did the same research about 2-3 years ago. An honest seller, which admittedly is hard to find at times, will find out for you where the leather you are considering sources from. If they say they can't, they know you won't like the answser. I honestly do not believe Omnia does not use any leathers from China. Their website does not say they source all leathers from Europe. They say "Over 30 years ago, they sourced fine quality 100% top grain hides, from some of the oldest tanneries in the world, and opened a fully integrated manufacturing facility in California. Since then, another generation has taken the helm and Omnia has grown leaps and bounds. It actually does not say anything about where they get their hides today. Just where they got them 30 years ago. If you click on each of thier leathers there is absolutley no information provided about individual leathers. SoI would contact them directly and ask them. You may or may not get a response.

Omnia may be the perfect brand for you. But you will be getting a $2000.00 sofa, not a $3500.00 or $5500.00 sofa. Just go in with eyes wide open.

You never said where you found out they sourced thier leather from. Did you email them? Did you get a reply? Or did you decide you were better off not knowing? My comment about them growing in leaps and bounds was not MY comment, it was quoted directly from thier website. The part where it says when the company started they sourced their leathers from Europe. No where did it say where they come from now. I hope you are happy with what you get.

Sue,

True, I had said you mentioned it, just as my furniture guy here did to me. He said he doesn’t work with anyone whose furniture is made in China. As for this particular Grade 3 “Eugene” leather, it specifies that it’s finished in Italy. In that case, I don’t know where it starts out. But China IS known for importing a lot of leather. I have no idea if it starts OUT being tanned in China and THEN finished in Italy or not. Or perhaps raised in China, as well? I will ask my dealer here. The actual furniture is made in Chino, CA.

As for leather being tanned in China, Duane, himself, said that it’s not a BAD thing, necessarily. Look at the high end brands here who do that. After I read his blurb about that, I felt better knowing that IF I chose leather tanned in China it wouldn’t be a deal breaker. That said, at this point, I’m thinking the cowhide I ordered comes from one of the countries who “grew” the cattle and finished in Italy. If it happens to make a stop over in China somewhere in between, so be it. Or maybe it IS produced there, as well. I’m more concerned about the actual sofa and recliner being made here.

Quote Originally Posted by APairAndaSpare View Post
    Sue, it’s funny you mentioned Omnia growing leaps and bounds from when it was just a small company. My own local guy said the same thing, and in fact, he said that he feels we’re hitting a sweet spot now before they grow even MORE. He said in 10 years time, who knows where they’ll be or if he’ll even be carrying it IF he doesn’t like what he sees. But for now, he feels good about selling me a power reclining sofa and recliner. I’m adding #35 extra firm HR 2.0 cushions and a Grade 3 aniline plus full grain leather. By the way, the two pieces together will be $7,890 (that’s with our 9% tax) and $55 white glove delivery. So even the power recliner is closer to 3k. Closer to 5k for the power reclining sofa.

I’ll include a description of my leather. I prefer aniline with an added top coat for a bit more protection, hence the “plus”. These will be our everyday/sometimes all day furniture. I might choose differently when we replace our stationery furniture in the living room. Doesn’t get as much use at all.

Name:	F974F414-5DB9-443D-97AE-0928A8A1F843.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	14231

Name:	E116D660-9D6C-4828-8090-5F47CC3FA771.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	14236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1254BFB6-9CE8-4C28-8C39-E861A7A05BEA.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	14235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5FAEF9C8-C3DB-41A4-AE24-DB3281AB11BE.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	14234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5FAEF9C8-C3DB-41A4-AE24-DB3281AB11BE.jpg 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	14234Sue, I found more descriptions of some of their leathers and where they’re from and finished. I didn’t screen shoot all the higher grades of aniline. Some of these are also protected Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62EBD04A-353F-4BCE-9CD2-E16C8D1E1922.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	14232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9768AAFE-D9DC-484B-86D9-430D53D61813.jpg 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	14233as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
    You never said where you found out they sourced thier leather from. Did you email them? Did you get a reply? Or did you decide you were better off not knowing? My comment about them growing in leaps and bounds was not MY comment, it was quoted directly from thier website. The part where it says when the company started they sourced their leathers from Europe. No where did it say where they come from now. I hope you are happy with what you get.

Interesting, when I originally followed your link to their website there was no information on individual leathers at all. I would click on each one and it would just bring up a blank screen. Maybe a problem they were having on their website or maybe on my end. I assume that is from their website? I haven't gone back to original link to try again. Anyway I notice some careful wording here and there which might indicate they don't want to say where they are being tanned or finished, but I bought a semi-aniline finished in China from H&M myself so I won't throw any stones if you did, lol. I was just curious since it seemed to be a semi deal breaker for you at first and I think consumers should know what they are or are not getting for their money. Every time I think I am going to spring for one of the luxury hides myself they raise it up just out of my reach or comfort zone again, lol.

Hi Sue,

I went directly to the Omnia website and then clicked on Leather up on top. I’ve gone several times. It doesn’t show the leather grades, although I’ve seen them in my furniture dealer’s sample book. And on some other site. Not as many highest grades to choose from compared to the others. After reading more of what Duane said about leathers finished in China I was a bit more reassured. I would think that Omnia would share if any of it was finished or from China, though. Maybe I’ll give them a call, personally. My initial primary reason (other than made in America) for going with them was for the waterfall chaise cushions because I don’t care for split. But, I was even happier to know they offer a Box chaise on some of their recliners. My furniture guy said he didn’t think I would be as comfortable with Omnia’s waterfall design. He said it’s fairly stuffed and might not feel good under my legs. That’s when he told me about the Box chaise. A very nice compromise. Looks like a regular box design until it’s reclined and the reclining piece is full leather rather than split. I sat in a similar one from a different brand on his floor. Felt nice. Also had the power headrest, as well. VERY nice. Anyway, I’m hoping what we chose will be what we end up loving. Since he gave us the option for the right of refusal, at least I know he can use them on his floor if we decide they just aren’t what will work for us. However, my husband will NOT want to wait several more months if we have to start all over again. So, I hope I chose well! Lol.

I always suggest not to focus on leathers tanned in China. They are not inferior in any way, shape or form. In fact, they are remarkably consistent, which is a good thing as you can add a chair or ottoman a year later and not see a tremendous color shift in the new piece from the older ones. Leathers from Italy and South America vary wildly in comparison, with wide swings in quality and color consistency.

Leggett and Platt is the world's largest recliner mechanism maker for example, and one of the highest quality ones. They have two USA-plants and also two in China. What they output from both is identical in quality. I have a few clients from time to time that insist they only want the L&P Mech with a "made in USA" sticker on it. Read into this thread from 2010 to see their VP's reply to me on this topic: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-made-in-China. Of course, you can say you don't trust what he says and that becomes a different issue, or say you don't want to support the Chinese economy at all and that also is a separate issue. However the fact of the matter is this is world economy, like it or not, and the smart phone you have in your hand as well as the tablet, laptop or computer is almost certainly made in China. Your TV is either China or Korea production.

Companies do not have unique leathers. That is Omnia - for example - doesn't have leathers made just for them, they source from suppliers. There are two big leather show to the trade in June and December of each year in High Point NC where the furniture makers go and pick out next season's leathers from hundreds of leather suppliers. These shows are four months before the Furniture Market, so they have time to buy new hides and use them to show to Dealers at the Market shows in April and October. This is where furniture makers select hides for their lines and they try to cover the spectrum from low cost to luxury hides to try to reach across the consumer financial spectrum. I see the same exact leather pop up in all our suppliers, with a different name assigned to it from each furniture maker. They all put it in their lines if its a good hide that meets their target needs. I don't know Omnia - it's a California company (I was just 2 hours from their manufacturing facility this weekend), but I would bet you a dime to a dollar that if you put their leather handle samples in front of me I could identify several series as coming from Chinese tanneries, because I know what to look for.

If you really want the insider's tip on things, my opinion is that where the leather is tanned is of no importance whatsoever. What matters a hundred times more is regular cleaning & conditioning, and keeping the piece out of direct sunlight. You can take the world's finest hides and if you don't keep them maintained and let the UV rays eat them up, they won't fare as well as the least expensive promotional leather that has been taken care of. Generally European hides are more exotic and luxurious, and those from Pacific Rim countries are more mainstream. If you don't take care of them, they will all soil and crack-out / split.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you, Duane. This is the reassurance that I got from you when I read your feelings on Chinese leather in an earlier thread. I agree about the maintenance of leather. In those little descriptions I sent is also a list of how to take care of your leather. I’m just going to look forward to what we chose and trust that we made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I always suggest not to focus on leathers tanned in China. They are not inferior in any way, shape or form. In fact, they are remarkably consistent, which is a good thing as you can add a chair or ottoman a year later and not see a tremendous color shift in the new piece from the older ones. Leathers from Italy and South America vary wildly in comparison, with wide swings in quality and color consistency.

Leggett and Platt is the world's largest recliner mechanism maker for example, and one of the highest quality ones. They have two USA-plants and also two in China. What they output from both is identical in quality. I have a few clients from time to time that insist they only want the L&P Mech with a "made in USA" sticker on it. Read into this thread from 2010 to see their VP's reply to me on this topic: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-made-in-China. Of course, you can say you don't trust what he says and that becomes a different issue, or say you don't want to support the Chinese economy at all and that also is a separate issue. However the fact of the matter is this is world economy, like it or not, and the smart phone you have in your hand as well as the tablet, laptop or computer is almost certainly made in China. Your TV is either China or Korea production.

Companies do not have unique leathers. That is Omnia - for example - doesn't have leathers made just for them, they source from suppliers. There are two big leather show to the trade in June and December of each year in High Point NC where the furniture makers go and pick out next season's leathers from hundreds of leather suppliers. These shows are four months before the Furniture Market, so they have time to buy new hides and use them to show to Dealers at the Market shows in April and October. This is where furniture makers select hides for their lines and they try to cover the spectrum from low cost to luxury hides to try to reach across the consumer financial spectrum. I see the same exact leather pop up in all our suppliers, with a different name assigned to it from each furniture maker. They all put it in their lines if its a good hide that meets their target needs. I don't know Omnia - it's a California company (I was just 2 hours from their manufacturing facility this weekend), but I would bet you a dime to a dollar that if you put their leather handle samples in front of me I could identify several series as coming from Chinese tanneries, because I know what to look for.

If you really want the insider's tip on things, my opinion is that where the leather is tanned is of no importance whatsoever. What matters a hundred times more is regular cleaning & conditioning, and keeping the piece out of direct sunlight. You can take the world's finest hides and if you don't keep them maintained and let the UV rays eat them up, they won't fare as well as the least expensive promotional leather that has been taken care of. Generally European hides are more exotic and luxurious, and those from Pacific Rim countries are more mainstream. If you don't take care of them, they will all soil and crack-out / split.

I like to buy made in the USA as much as possible. It keeps jobs and money in the USA. I would absolutely rather have an L&P recliner mechanism that made in the USA rather than made in China. Maybe the L&P mechanism from China is just as good, but maybe not. A lot of stuff made in China is just as good as anything made in the USA, but there is plenty of low quality stuff made in China too. A product made in the USA doesn't just support the workers at the plant. American workers probably built the plant. American truckers haul the raw materials to the plant. Taxes from the plant support local government(s) and more American workers.

I realize that most electronics are made overseas. I am not willing to live without electronics so I buy them regardless of where made. I also buy battery powered tools made overseas as not really any other choice. I just ordered a set of Allen/hex screwdriver insert bits made by Bondhus in the USA. I spent many hours of searching online until I stumbled upon this set. I could have driven to Home Depot or Menards and been back home with a Chinese or Taiwanese set in 30 minutes or so. Menards carries Bondhus, but not the screwdriver bit style.