Thread: Century Leather Furniture Set

Default Century Leather Furniture Set

Hello!

I’m needing some opinions on this set. I purchased this Century Furniture set for $250 and was planning to keep the chair & ottoman for myself, and sell the sofa. When I picked it up, I saw the name “Century” and that it was built in Hickory, NC. I am familiar with Hickory being a major furniture hub, so I wanted to investigate.

Did I score something more valuable than I originally thought? I’ve “googled” and cannot find any information about these models. The sofa is “LR-28136 Sofa,” and the chair is “LR-18136 Chair.”

I’m particularly wondering if these couches are on par with Hancock & Moore (a brand I’m slightly more familiar with,) or if maybe Century has an “economy line” of less expensive furniture that perhaps my set came from?

Is there anything special about this set that sets it apart from, say, Pottery Barn or West Elm?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6A0E52A7-B9E3-4449-82F7-6597CFAA7E6B.jpeg 
Views:	187 
Size:	466.3 KB 
ID:	14229

Default Re: Century Leather Furniture Set

Century Furniture is part of the Rock House Farm Family of brands, which includes Hancock & Moore and Jessica Charles, among others. Both of the pieces you have have been discontinued - the LR-28136 Sofa is the Westport Sofa and the chair is the matching Westport Chair & Ottoman.

Century has craftsman and material standards in line with Hancock & Moore, and the person who was likely overseeing the production of leather upholstered pieces at the time yours were made is Phil Brown, who is now the President at Hancock & Moore, and extremely knowledgeable about leather.

That set was likely a made-to-order purchase and was handmade in the US - Century uses proper 8-way hand tying and that set probably has solid hardwood frames. We don't know how West Elm and/or Pottery Barn furniture frames were crafted at the time that your set was made, but the Century set is almost certainly made with higher quality materials and better craftsmanship.