Thread: Replacement Angle Irons For Bed Frame?

Default Replacement Angle Irons For Bed Frame?

I have a king-size bed frame made by Trehan. The slats sit on many 8" angle irons. I recently replaced my thick box spring (14") with a thin box spring (4"), and now need much shorter angle irons, like 2" (definitely not more than 4"). Shorter would be better visually, as the angle irons wouldn't extend below the bed's side rails.

How do I go about getting new/shorter angle irons? Is this something that has be be custom made? I wonder if I could bring the existing angle irons to a blacksmith and have them shortened? I have no idea whether it's cheaper to make new ones or modify existing ones. Trehan has closed its doors a few years ago, so I assume that route is not possible.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Default Re: Replacement Angle Irons For Bed Frame?

Have you even looked at the local Lowes or Home Depot? I have bought and used them in the past to make raised garden beds and just got them at Home Depot. I did a search and came up with numerous sources online for angle irons. They should not be hard to find. Unless there are so many that they are really price prohibitive, I personally would replace them and then you still have originals if you ever need them.

Any blacksmith can make those for you, they are simple to do and inexpensive. just take one existing piece so he can copy the drill hole location and thickness and expect to pay about $ 10 to $ 15 apiece. I've done it many times for clients. If there is no blacksmith near you, Horton Brass can fit you up.

https://www.horton-brasses.com/H-550.asp

I would keep the originals, as eventually you or a buyer for the bed will want them for a standard size box down the road.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane and Sue, thank you so much for your fast response! It’s very helpful.

One note too.....you ALWAYS want your box spring to be 1" above the side rails, not flush or below them. The reason being when you go to put fitted sheets on the mattress, you will come away with bruised or bloody knuckles if the mattress is flush or below the edge rail.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    One note too.....you ALWAYS want your box spring to be 1" above the side rails, not flush or below them. The reason being when you go to put fitted sheets on the mattress, you will come away with bruised or bloody knuckles if the mattress is flush or below the edge rail.
    Oh yes, I have learned it the hard way! A bed in the corner is also hard to make.