Thread: recommendations for teen furniture

leah810 Guest

Default recommendations for teen furniture

i appreciate your thoughts duane. i need to purchase bedroom furniture for my 12 yo daughter, we need a full bed, desk and dresser. not sure where to begin. any advice? i want to buy quality wood made in usa for a fair price.

thanks

Sarah Guest

Hi Leah. I had the same wish-list for my daughter's room (though she is only three years old).

We had a "pottery-barn" budget for her room and were not impressed with any of the furniture in that price-range. We also felt like a lot of the quality, higher end stuff did not have the "style" that we were looking for (usually furniture for children is NOT good quality or high end).
    Our solution was to buy random, mis-matched well-made used pieces (a lot of stuff from the 1960s) and paint it all white. We added new hardware to all of the pieces to tie them together.

Good luck in your search! Hopefully someone else can chime in with a few recommendations on brands to look for.

Afraid I don't have any recommendations either. I gave up trying to buy kid's furniture for my kids, and just go them regular 'adult' pieces for their rooms, because its the only stuff made to my standards. Yes it cost me more, but its held up tremendously.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

McCall Guest

My suggestion is to take her to some Quality furniture stores in your area and look at regular bedroom furniture and get a feel for what she likes in that. Many teenagers can be more sophisticated than you think if given half a chance.
    Once you know her style prefferences then go from there in determining the quality/price point you want to go with.

soster Guest

A key difference between youth and adult furniture collections is the youth collections offer a desk and the smaller bed sizes. AP Industries is no longer inexpensive, but its very good quality. Dutailier is also very good.