Thread: Help narrowing down the H&M sofa universe to Deep Seating Options

Hybrid View

Default Help narrowing down the H&M sofa universe to Deep Seating Options

Hi all,

Just found this forum last week and have been gobbling up information. My wife and I have been researching couches for well over 6 months BUT limited to the "mall furniture stores" (PB, C&B, and RH). We were about to just pull the trigger because we have a flaking bonded leather couch from Lazy Boy (10 years old which after reading this forum seems like a miracle). Anyways....we were going to purchase the C&B Gather Deep but then I began researching C&B leather and arrived here and it seems C&B leather is not the only problem but that the frame construction may be an even weaker link.

So finally a question, does an H&M couch exist that is similar to the dimensions of the Gather Deep?...I think the closest I have seen is the "your way" sofa line but frankly, there are a lot of models that I'm hoping for assistance in narrowing the options.

Gather Deep
    Height: 37", Width: 118", Depth: 43", Inside Depth: 27", Seat Height: 19"

Second question, will these H&M couches (or another brand for that matter) be as comfortable as the C&B Gather Deep...I have seen Duane mention several times > 90% comfort ratio for all H&M couches...but as he has also said, comfort is subjective.

So far the only H&M couches in the area that I have seen available within driving distance are the following:

5969-3 ARCHITECT'S SOFA
    Height: 34.5", Width: 101", Depth: 41.5", Inside Depth: 22", Seat Height: 20.25"

6579-3 MARLA SOFA
    Height: 34.5", Width: 89", Depth: 39", Inside Depth: 21", Seat Height: 20"

5831-3 RICKI SOFA
    Height: 38", Width: 84.5", Depth: 39.75", Inside Depth: 22.25, Seat Height: 20.25"

6609-3 PAIGE SOFA
    Height: 36", Width: 83", Depth: 39.75", Inside Depth: 20.5", Seat Height: 19.5"

Are the above H&M models a fair representation of the comfort we would expect?

Wife is 5'7 and 140 lbs and I'm 6'2 and 185 lbs. I have attached a schematic of the layout with the couch to go in the living room facing the exterior wall without the covered patio. We were thinking total length no bigger than 124' but smaller would probably be smarter from what I have read on the forum.

We are also undecided between getting a chaise vs. ottoman but no point to go into that now since we need to make sure a couch in the H&M universe is available that fits our needs.

This place is an absolute incredible source of knowledge. Thank you for any help.

Cheers,

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	14298  

Default Re: Help narrowing down the H&M sofa universe to Deep Seating Options

The best way to look at dimensions is to go to the Hancock and Moore website, we as dealers do that ourselves and do not have them all memorized. Keep in mind as well, every item is hand made and dimensions are not ironclad. There is a +/- 2” tolerance on all dimensions that is considered to be acceptable on a build. Of there is ONE dimension that may be critical, let the dealer know at time of order and we can put on the purchase order “must not exceed published dimensions for length” , or similar language.

I avoid comfort comparisons, because they are as subjective as ice cream flavors, ie, what is better, strawberry or chocolate? There is no correct answer as it’s preference. And if I tell you to go chocolate and it turns out you prefer that strawberry am I obligated to buy you a new ice cream? Some people would say yes, so I steer clear of that!

Chaise vs Ottoman. One is fixed and not reconfigurable, the other can be moved around. You have to decide which works best, I usually prefer ottomans for that reason it allows me flexibility if I move to a different home or remodel a room.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hey there,

Just to throw another option in there, H&M has a build your own option. http://hancockandmoore.com/YourWay?CollectionNo=YW
    You pick the back, arm, depth, leg, etc. and on THAT option you can get 24.5 seat depth. The other thing about H&M, even if you pick an existing sofa model, you can get firmer cushions. I'm sure there's a link somewhere on this site about that.

ALSO. I happened to be looking at a furniture store and sat on a Bradington Young sectional and it was the BOMB - sorry, don't know the model. But I noticed the back cushions might have been done softer/cushier than the bottoms, so that's and idea. While it's not H&M, BY imho is VeRY Good as well. We bought an H&M arrington and a B&Y (can't remember the model right now) chair for our 6'6" son (apartment/condo living). I feel the depth on the arrington 21.75", is not deep enough (I'm 5'7'). Our current H&M at our home is 24" deep and I like it Much more. It's old, at least 15 years old, was part of a program where the hides were partially done in China - not what I would do now, but the cushions are still in great shape. I'm just sick of the sofa and want change.

I sat in a Rikki about 7 years ago and liked it, but I'm going off recollection. I recently sat in a Donovan but it's not as deep, it was ok.

Good Luck.

Yes, you can spec a firmer cushion density at time of order if you like on any H&M piece. Standard is now 21 oz (used to be 18 oz until two years ago) and the next firmness up from that is 24 oz, then 28 oz. DO NOT go beyond 28 oz unless user is over 350 - 380 lb. Backs can be ordered extra full if desired, about 10% more fiber fill in them, also at no extra charge.

Ricki sofa is one of my favorites. Great interior space, not a huge footprint, priced right as well relative to other sofas in the lines. In Juno Soft Blue, a program leather, its terrific.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks for the responses.

I took my wife and a tape measurer to PB and RH to get an idea for where we each stand on comfort level for specific inside depths and height measurements. We agreed on a inside depth of no less than 24 inches and that we would prefer closer to 26. Height was a bit difficult because the height of the cushion can vary widely from the frame height. We agree that the cushion height should be no shorter than 37 inches and preferably 38 inches or higher.

With those criteria, I downloaded and reviewed the entire E-catalog (which apparently is from 2020 but is still listed on H&M website so hopefully it's up to date). I screened out all sofas and love seats with inside depth less than 24 inches and heights less that 37 inches. This left me with settlement, Your Way, and Sundance.

1. A concern I have is that the heights for the couches we actually sat on at the mall seemed much shorter than H&Ms at around 17.75-19.75 depending on the couch. The settlement and sundance for example have heights of 23 and 21 inches respectively so how would that change expect the depthless to be appreciated. I would image that the taller the sofa, the less depth you would need to feel comfortable....but not really sure if my logic is sound and I doubt there is some magic ratio between these three measurements to apply to a sofa to estimate it's comfort. I ask because the York has an inside depth of 26 inches but a height of only 35 so while that is the next deepest couch that H&M makes behind the settlement, I worry the height will be an issue. Any advice on this?

2. How does H&M measure the overall height? is it in reference to the frame or to the top of the cushion? The sundance frame seems to go all the way to the top of the cushion but I can't tell for the settlement and your way models.

3. In reference to your response on noting on the order that one dimension is critical...can that be depth? and in your experience what is the outcome when such a request is made?

4. Is there a new T&C and JIT for 2022?

5. We are looking at a possible trip to your store the weekend of March 5th....certainly stock changes but do you typically have settlement, Your Way, and Sundance models on the floor?

Thanks so much for your help...come a long way from Lazy boy haha

Happy to try and help answer some of these questions.

1. Depth and height are very subjective, as is comfort - it depends on how you like to sit in your sofa. If you like to lean your head back, a taller sofa is going to be more comfortable, if you like to have more room to lay down, a sofa with a larger depth is going to be more comfortable, etc. I don't like to "sink in" to my sofas, so I prefer a smaller depth, but I also sit upright with my legs curled up half the time, which is very different than how my husband sits! There is no magic ratio, it's really just what you prefer and what is most comfortable for your build!

2. Seat height is measured from the ground to the crown of the seat cushion. Overall height is measured from the ground to the highest peak, either the top of the back cushion or the frame, whichever is higher.

3. Yes, you could specify that the depth must be a certain measurement. Hancock & Moore will pay special attention to this specification as they craft the sofa.

4. The Town & Country program offerings and leathers have stayed the same.

5. We have a Your Way sofa and a Redford, the smaller version of the Sundance, on the floor. We do not have a Settlement or Sundance on order right now.

Thank you for the quick response.

I haven't been able to find the internal seating distance for the Y87 or Y96 on the H&M website. Do you know what these measurements are for the Deep versions of these two sofas?

Also, I know prices can't be quoted specifically but relative to one another, would the prices be similar for the sundance sofa in JIT Portfolio Tobacco compared to either a Y87 or Y96 in a class 2 leather?

Thanks!

The Y87 and Y96 depth and height measurements are the same, putting both standard and deeper depth below for comparison!

S = Standard Depth
    Overall depth: 40.5"
    Inside depth: 22.5"
    Seat height: 20.5"
    Height: 35.5"

D = Deeper Depth
    Overall depth: 43"
    Inside depth: 24.5"
    Seat height: 20.5"
    Height: 38"

We are always happy to provide price quotes to you, we just can't post them publicly. If you would like specific quotes, please send us an email at keepingroom@gmail.com or you can request a quote on the Forum here: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/foru...equest-a-Quote

The JIT "Just In Time" program no longer exists in the COVID world, but the Town & Country Program is the preferred pricing program that we have access to. With our pricing, the Sundance sofa in Portfolio Tobacco is going to be less expensive (by approximately $1,000) than the Your Way sofas in a Class 2 leather.

Thanks for responding quickly again!!

In regards to the measurements, I was looking for the internal width for the Y87 and Y96....the area between the arms so to speak. On the Sundance sofa 4716, this internal width is 71 inches but I can't find the same measurement for the Y87 or the Y96. Unless the internal width is the 87 inch or 96 inch number...is that the case?

In regards to the JIT program no longer existing, I'm a little confused. It was still listed in the most recent T&C brochure that was posted here http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...hlight=Program
    -Is it just that the quick shipping is no longer available? or is the lower pricing of the JIT vs the T&C program items not classified as JIT not offered anymore?

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

The internal width of the Your Way sofas depends on the arms you select - for example, a track Arm will allow a larger inside width than a rolled arm.

You can certainly still order items labeled as "Just In Time" from the Town & Country promotion at the preferred pricing, there is just not expedited shipping or production with the current supply and labor shortages. We quote approximately 6 months for production on all Hancock & Moore pieces - sometimes it may be faster, around 5 months, but 6 is certainly more common.