Thread: 2001 Kodiak Sofa (#9503) - Auburn Luggage Grade III - Similar Leather ?

Default 2001 Kodiak Sofa (#9503) - Auburn Luggage Grade III - Similar Leather ?

I have a 2001 Kodiak sofa (Model #9503) in Auburn Luggage leather (Grade III).
    I will be reaching out to Hancock & Moore shortly as the dealer that I purchased the sofa from is no longer in business. I will need to request samples of existing similar leathers because Auburn Luggage has been discontinued. Since I trust your judgment Duane, I am asking if there is any leather in particular that you recommend that I request a sample of as a replacement. In case you are wondering what happened to my seats that I need replacements, my young son one day decided that leather tasted good - don't ask - it's been a little bit and seats of course have been deteriorating, but he still remembers the day that I caught him doing it.

Another question. I purchased the sofa with Ultra Down seating and backs. I read here on the forum that you indicate that Hancock & Moore has changed the Ultra Down to another type (I forget what you said). But, the question is, how do you like these instead of Ultra Down?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Re: 2001 Kodiak Sofa (#9503) - Auburn Luggage Grade III - Similar Leather ?

On a 20-year-old sofa, you are not going to be successful replacing the seat casings, sorry. We no longer do this for customers as it never works out and the clients get upset - and that's bad for business. I have never once had a satisfied client with casing replacements on old sofas and after the last incident I decided we would no longer order these parts. I would recommend you simply consider you got your money's worth over 20 years and sell or dispose of that sofa. Buy a new H&M Doyle sofa in Tilton Lager (Town and Country Program). The Doyle is an updated version of a Kodiak and that's a really nice leather.

Reupholstering the existing Kodiak sofa is viable in fabric if your budget prevents you from buying a new sofa at this time, but not so much in leather. You can usually guy a brand new sofa in leather for less than the cost of a recover in hides.

Ultra Down cores are still current and likely to be. They have made great advances in Spring Down seat cores the past three years and we just received our first sofa (Emerson) with those as a floor model - they sit very nice!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: 2001 Kodiak Sofa (#9503) - Auburn Luggage Grade III - Similar Leather ?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    On a 20-year-old sofa, you are not going to be successful replacing the seat casings, sorry. We no longer do this for customers as it never works out and the clients get upset - and that's bad for business. I have never once had a satisfied client with casing replacements on old sofas and after the last incident I decided we would no longer order these parts. I would recommend you simply consider you got your money's worth over 20 years and sell or dispose of that sofa. Buy a new H&M Doyle sofa in Tilton Lager (Town and Country Program). The Doyle is an updated version of a Kodiak and that's a really nice leather.

Reupholstering the existing Kodiak sofa is viable in fabric if your budget prevents you from buying a new sofa at this time, but not so much in leather. You can usually guy a brand new sofa in leather for less than the cost of a recover in hides.

Ultra Down cores are still current and likely to be. They have made great advances in Spring Down seat cores the past three years and we just received our first sofa (Emerson) with those as a floor model - they sit very nice!
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    So, it seems like I will need to go shopping for a new sofa. As 20 years have gone by, you are right - I did get my money's worth. With 20 years passing, my taste has changed as well. I now like the looks of the H&M 5638 ARRINGTON SOFA (Piazza Mink) & that 6246-3 AVA SOFA looks nice as well. I may be asking you for a quote on the 5638 Arrington Sofa in that Piazza Mink leather.

Thanks again.