Thread: BY motion sofa

Default BY motion sofa

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8C600F3C-C601-43D9-898E-E050E5DDBBDE.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	14326Duane, one more question please. I found a good deal on a BY reclining sofa on marketplace I was thinking about getting for my daughter. I’d have to have a friend take a trailer and move it from another city 90 miles away. I remember seeing a post where I think you said you didn’t stock these because they were just too heavy to move but now i can’t find it the posting. It would be two 65 year olds trying to move this sofa. I’m not sure what door size she has but assume it’s the standard 36”. Can you give me any advice about this, is this doable or are we crazy for thinking about getting this? Thx.

Default Re: BY motion sofa

That BY motion sofa weights 358 pounds, according to their website. Won't be easy to move. I'd recommend you get some help. Duane may have some additional thoughts.

I seem to remember Duane saying when they have to deliver one of these, they use at least three guys because they are so heavy and awkward. And that is three guys that are professional furniture deliverers. I do not think two 'normal' people will be able to handle it. You will have to tilt it to get through a doorway, and it will be very hard to maneuver around any corners so I hope it is a straight path from the door to where it is going.

You may want to invest in a door jamb protector so not to damage the unit was it goes through your door way. I found this post that addresses moving heavy sofa's through entryways.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...jamb+protector

I can still move a standard full length stationary sofa by myself at age 67, but you won't find me on the end of a dual power recliner sofa - it's too heavy for me and I'm built pretty large. None of my over-50 delivery guys will do them, and last year my lead guy Jim suffered a heart attack right in the truck after delivering one - that was the end of his delivery days for the store..

When we deliver these locally, I get my strongest young bucks and send three of them on delivery. They are all big guys in their 30's and one is a weightlifter and can take one end by himself, the other two guys get the other end. Dead lift in a driveway isn't too much a problem, its getting it through thresholds (doorways) especially if they have to be tilted. Plus, you should never grab on the footrest end (which is where you hand wants to go) as that is part of the motion mechanism and can result in a bent motion frame.

If you are thinking U-Haul trailer with enclosed top, you will also likely injure your back bending over and lifting this in confined headroom. We would never attempt delivery with one of these units except in a truck we can fully stand up in.

I would suggest you hire a delivery service. A slipped disc isn't worth it for you or your friend and you are in your 60's when that happens. I'm still recovering from that injury I did in early December - they are quite painful. Good luck
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks everyone. Checking on a delivery now. The sofa looks like a steal at $1000 for a three year old sofa, so I guess another $500 or so for pickup and delivery would still be a good deal. I greatly appreciate everyone’s help on this forum. This is a vast resource for furniture knowledge!