Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Number and Size of Sitting Pieces for home with flow thru Living room/Kitchen

Default Re: Number and Size of Sitting Pieces for home with flow thru Living room/Kitchen

If you didn't like the Your Way single recliner, then you would probably not like the loveseat, changing the cores won't make a big difference, those are small adjustments.

Yes, dual power recliner sofas are a problem to deliver, requiring wide entry doors and we use three men on delivery locally. Two actually deliver it through the door, the third guy is the spotter when one of the other guys starts to run out of gas. That's another reason I like that B-Y unit with the console in the middle, that delivers in three pieces making installation much easier.

There are no safety stops or pinch protectors in anyone's recliners - including the one you now own. So yes, a pinch or cut can be an issue if kids are allowed to horse around on the pieces and one gets underneath the unit while another is playing with the switches. The key there is to put the unit off limits to kids for that sort of playing - kid DO listen if you set the boundaries.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Number and Size of Sitting Pieces for home with flow thru Living room/Kitchen

Does that B-Y unit sit like the Your Way recliners?

Fair point on the boundary setting.

Does our dislike of the sit of the Your Way recliner make us unlikely to like the sit of the deeper Your Way sofa?

I had been thinking the Sundance in Portfolio Tobacco (a rare grade 3 leather in the T&C program) is about as good a value as possible in the T&C sofa lineup but it's not 100% about getting the best bang for your buck.

Thank you

It's nearly impossible to make comfort suggestions and comparisons, because everyone likes something that suits them.

Reminds of me of some of the flowery tastings notes on wines such as:

"Vibrant aromas of dark fruit, baked cherry and saddle leather are underscored by notes of caramel. The palate is full-bodied and rich with flavors of dark berries, vanilla laced with leather, mocha and spice. A round mouthfeel backed with concentrated tannin structure leads to a complex, long finish" Smith and Hook Cabernet 2017

I have that wine at home - don't taste any of that. lol.

A lot of the comfort factor depends not only on height, but weight. Inseams can vary greatly as well, someone with a 29" inseam isn't going to like the same recliner as someone with a 35" inseam. I have my own favorites, but they may not be yours, and I don't want to sway anyone buying something based on what fits me, You can take a chance and dive in, or see if you can find one to try out in person. One of my personal favorites is the Hancock and Moore 1044 Sadler Recliner and I have one in the store. I have people come and say "I don't like how that 1044 feels". <shrug> Not much you can say!

Sundance sofa - remember this is super deep at 50" and also has a curved back and front. I think it would overwhelm your room and its not the best shape to pick when doing any "L" layouts. Sorry. Ricki sofa and loveseat may be far better for your application and has about the same interior space. Check it out.

BTW, the Hancock and Moore Your Way / Your Way 2 Motion uses the same mechanisms as the Bradington Young 900 series / 200 series motion furniture, so the difference is foam up, tailoring and frame. If you don't care for the Your Way Motion sit, you probably won't like the Bradington Young units either because dimensionally they are very similar and foam / cushion and frame pitch changes from one maker to another won't make much more than a 10% difference one way or the other.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-06-2022 at 10:36 AM.
    Duane Collie

Hi there,

Sticking in my 2 cents. What do you think about your fireplace? Do you love it or would you like to have it re-worked. My impression of it after you posted the pic looking to the kitchen (btw, I love open concept & architectural details) could be that it is a little heavy with all the wood, even though it is painted. (or it could be the wallpaper/drapes bringing me down - I agree with Duane, take down immediately). If you rework it a little, you can work on getting that tv up there and hiding the electronics. Maybe have buit-ins put in to hide the speakers? Changing the fan to a can is also excellent. The ceiling will soar without it. Now, a painful thought that may cause a LOT of go-arounds as it did with me and my husband. We both love surround sound but I finally put my foot down and made him put some of the speakers in the wall. We still have a few in a huyuge entertainment built in unit but when we sell this house and move, I guarantee you no one is going to see anything except possibly a sound bar. (he doesn't know this yet - haha). Here's how one person did it https://roomfortuesday.com/surround-...e-living-room/ My speaders are actually in a piece of furniture, some it behind doors with speaker cloth. So whoaa, this was all off on a tangent that you didn't ask for so sorry about that.

Back to furniture. How many people come over? Another possibility is long sofa by the windows, two reliners or swivel chairs opposite the tv for you and your wife if you like watching tv and relaxing in the evening. Two lighter chairs facing the sofa. Are you still looking for traditional look with big cushioning or something a little sleeker. I happened to sit in an anton swivel in a store here and loved the feel. However, I'm hoping to get a roomba - haha - so am looking to raise all my furniture on tapered legs. The arrington chair does that. My husband and I both sat in a your way recliner, so we are debating who gets that on (unfortunately that one will extend to the floor, but so worth it!). So two recliners, if you find some with a sit you like, with tables nearby to hold a drink (opposite the tv might be interesting). The chairs opposite the sofa, I would make lighter, in case you want to move them around. Something like the boomerang chair?

I just wanted to throw new thoughts out there. After 35 years, we've been tearing the house apart and re-doing everything. Have fun with your project. OH and +1 on the Ricki. I've sat on that one, quite comfortable and I think Duane has one, for now =)
    Last edited by WildCat; 02-06-2022 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Two pieces instead of a sectional is doable, however I don't think you can successfully place a recliner at the end of the one sofa. If you want to set the room in that manner, I would use a loveseat-based sectional with dual recliners and console in the middle instead, with a stationary sofa on the window side for the other piece.

This concept (not necessarily the style or color) give you two very comfortable recliners with armrest (console) for the TV and stereo enjoyment, and there are USB ports aplenty in that storage area. Headrests are articulating in this series as well. Can be battery powered if no outlet if nearby or if you would have to run wires across the floor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90016257_3016222595065300_35295822195195904_n.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	14356
    We were able to find a store with a larger stock of BY and H&M. We sat in the Luxe for Living series Raiden sofa (I believe it was this one https://www.bradington-young.com/rai...formation.aspx). It did not have the unattractive back (cut outs I think is the term) that seems to be across all of the Luxury motion series models.

It seems to me that the luxe for living is a lower tier line compared to the Luxury Motion series...so I was surprised that the model was so much more attractive. Can you comment on this and how a recliner in the luxe for living line would compare to the 2nd generation your way from H&M?

thank you!!

In B-Y, the 900 series has been around for about 4 years, the 200 series has only been out for 18 months. The difference is there are no cutaways in the back for the recliners. the 900 series has the cutaways and is about a 3" Wallhugger. The 200 series has a smooth back with no cutaways, is a true 0" clearance unit, and the recliners all move forward within the frame.
    Duane Collie

It's interesting that they would keep both around. Do you think it is likely that they will discontinue the 900 series to expand the 200 series or even announce a new line to address the weight issue?

The 200 series is difficult to get, it is the same system as the Hancock and Moore Your Way 2. That old Supply Chain issue we are all so tired of hearing about. So the 900 series will stay in the line at least until there is a steady stream of the 200 series, then I suspect it will be phased out, but I don't know for sure.

The way to address the size / bulk issue is to buy smaller sectional units and put them together once in the home if the space and doorways are tight to get into. It does cost more that way, however sometimes - that's the only way to get them into a home or apartment.
    Duane Collie

Our front door opening is 36 inches wide and 96 inches tall. The motion piece (whether it's BY or H&M) and the Your Way sofa will go in the main room on the 1st floor that is 17-18 feet from the entry door. No turns inside the house. There are 2 small steps on the deck prior to getting to the entry door. Do you have a 200 series in the store?

Do you or anyone in your area have a Your Way 2 series recliner? I have not seen one in person yet which is probably related to the supply chain issues but the dimensions are quite different than the original Motion series.

If we do go with 1 piece from H&M and 1 from BY, how does that factor into the delivery? Is it 2 shipments?

Thanks!

We only have (1) B-Y 900 series in our store configured as a loveseat with a center console in three pieces. I have no idea what other dealers may carry. There is no central database on dealer stocks as there is with car dealerships, etc.

Your 36" door and straight shot into the house should not present a delivery issue.

Yes, there would be two shipments if ordering from two different suppliers.
    Duane Collie