Thread: Smooth Leathers for more contemporary styles?

Default Smooth Leathers for more contemporary styles?

I've been looking at getting a little more contemporary style sofa. Ricki, donovan, or probably make it your way with track or moselle arms. It seems most of the time, these sofas are shown with very little texture. I'm trying to decide between Largo gray (more texture) and Juno Taupe (smoother). These two have been chosen purely for color. I'm shifting from a heavily traditional decor, more contemporary, I guess sort of transitional with peeks of contemporary. Wow isn't that convoluted!

Any thoughts? My current furniture is the journey sofa, chair and ottomon and can't wait to sell it. The overstuffed and big round arms is not me (after about 15 years!). Fingers crossed I will be able to find someone to appreciate it.

Default Re: Smooth Leathers for more contemporary styles?

Most any of the finished (protected) leathers will be smooth, because by definition, that class of leather has been sanded down to remove imperfections and that sanding destroys any grain pattern, which is embossed back into the hide with a press at a later date.

Don't go by samples at a store, because the majority of samples we dealers get are cut from salvage, that part of a hide that is considered non-useable because its in the belly or neck area and will be put in the trash heap. When a hide is cut, the Prime areas are used for seating areas arms and front kick panels, the Average areas used for sides and backs as well as cushion verticals, and then you have the salvage leftover. Roughly 1/3 of each category. If I owned the company personally, I would cut my samples from Prime (put your best foot forward) however by making them from salvage it saves thousands of dollars a year.

Largo and Juno will have essentially the same smoothness and hand, there is very little difference between them other than price - Largo is GR 1, Juno GR 2. However in the Ricki Sofa, I would suggest you look at Kismet Pewter, as its the lead promotional leather for that frame in the Town and Country promotion and looks nearly identical to Largo Gray and in fact I prefer it. If you were buying from my store the Kismet Pewter would save you a whopping $ 1,740 in cost vs the Largo, and that is not an insignificant amount.

You should have no difficulty in selling your Journey pieces!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Ok, thanks for the clarification about the sanding. I forgot about that.

As far as the sofas go, I'm now leaning towards the make it your way. The Ricki is Beautiful and I love the way it looks, it is just a teeny bit shallow on the seat for me. When I sit, I like from the back of my knee up being totally supported by the seat and I don't think that's an option under Ricki.

You may want to go Deeper Depth on the Your Way series then (no extra charge) as I find the Ricki to be deeper than the Standard Depth Your Way Sofas.

In Your Way, you will save a bit of $$$ if you stay within their program leathers which are listed here:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ional-leathers
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.