Thread: Will sofa fit through my door

Default Will sofa fit through my door

Hi:

I own a raised ranch and am looking to purchase a two piece sofa with a chaise.

The sofa breaks up into two pieces with the largest piece being 67” Wide x 40” Deep x 29 1/2” High.

Now it could potentially go through my front door and down the stairs, but in order to mitigate any damage to walls, I would prefer to bring it through the interior door in the garage which is 29” inches wide and 80” high. It is also a straight shot once through the door.

Do you think this would fit based on the dimensions. The biggest concern is the height of the couch being a 1/2” larger than the door width. Not sure if there is any maneuvering that can be done to make up for the larger dimensions.

Default Re: Will sofa fit through my door

Do you have a picture or know the height of the arms? The half inch shouldn't be a big deal as long as the arms aren't as tall as the back, since you can tilt it a bit to clear that space. Also do you already have the sofa and measured yourself, or going off of website measurements? It is common in furniture making to have up to +/- 2" of difference from specs, so I wouldn't count on it being exactly 29.5"

Another option that works sometimes if you need just a bit more clearance is to remove the door frame.
    Last edited by Danw99; 02-28-2022 at 11:17 PM.

Thank you for your reply. My thought is it could be tilted a bit to get it through the door. The salesperson seemed to think differently, but they did not consult with a member of the service team.

As for the dimensions, I measured it in the showroom and the salesperson confirmed the height is exactly 29 1/2”. See picture below. I believe there is a slight extension to support the cushions at the top of the back just above the arms, but can’t recall for certain. I would like to avoid having to remove the door frame.

My other option is to go through the front door and down the stairs. This should fit as the door is 36” wide and the tightest spot on the staircase is 32” wide and 71” high. There is a turn at the bottom though, but based on the height and width I think it should clear the corner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	310BCF3A-B880-443F-90DC-D649129801C2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	14402

29" doorways are HARD. Not the best option, but sometimes do-able. That unit looks as though the legs come off, so plan on that as that picks up 2". Sofas going through doorways are always tilted at an angle on delivery. 40" deep is a concern and the limiting factor, not the overall height. What matters on deliveries is the sofa depth, and if the arms come all the way to the front edge of the piece. I can't tell the back height with the cushions removed, but if under 29" with the legs off, you'll be fine.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thank you for your response, Duane! Unfortunately the 29 1/2” does not include the legs, so it’s going to be really tight if it does in fact go through.

So I have one other option if it doesn’t go through the interior door to the garage and that is to go through the front door and down the stairs. The big issue here besides concerns about damaging walls is that there is a hallway and a corner at the bottom of the stairs (see pictures).

The dimensions are:

Front Door - 35” (so no issues there)
    Staircase 32” wide x 71” high at shortest point.

At the bottom of the stairs the width from the bottom stair to wall is 44” and the hallway itself is 36 1/2” wide. The height from floor to ceiling is 87”.

Again, the couch dimensions are:

67” W
    40” Deep
    29 1/2” high

Any thoughts on whether it will go through this entrance?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A756FF92-1338-42E5-94BB-71B854CD145B.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	14403 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	63891CBC-BF4C-4D1B-9070-741AC267D5A6.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	14404

Appreciate your help!

If you are buying locally, get a right of return if possible - agree to pay a delivery attempt fee if it won't go through. You can't really figure this out ahead of time. Then let the pros give it a shot.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.