Wow, the Scott James beds are really beautiful, and as you said—heirloom pieces. It’s a shame that there are fewer opportunities for customers to become aware of such high-quality and well-made brands, and that such hand-crafted pieces are a rarity these days. As you mentioned in an earlier post, the less-expensive imports that saturate the market of mainstream chain furniture stores have really changed furniture buying. Your forum routinely highlights in many ways how a majority of customers are completely unaware of the content and construction of their furniture and home goods.

Had not known about the double-hook joinery of the Durham beds and hope I’ve not made a mistake with that purchase. Have had beds with rails that join both ways, but never really thought about how the bolt-joining is inherently stronger and therefore more durable. Enjoyed watching the through bolt mortise and tenon joinery on the Epic Woodworking video. I was jealous of the beautiful tools in his workshop; it has been nearly 20 years since I stopped woodworking. His chisels were so sharp and not worn-looking! Watching him work the wood to create something not only beautiful but very well made was great.

Duane, thanks for your insightful comments and the video links. I learned a lot.