Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: High Point Furniture Market Spring 2022

Default High Point Furniture Market Spring 2022

Sarah and I spent both Saturday and Sunday at the High Point Furniture Market, her first one ever, and the first time I have spent two whole days there. We took a lot of photos, and talked to a lot of people taking far more time than my usual one day trips. That means we have a lot to tell you about and will do in posts over the next one to two weeks as time allows.

The Market is so huge, and so vast, that I would estimate we covered only 5% of it in two days. Just got back at 11 pm this evening and we walked 5.3 miles at Market today alone. How Sarah managed to do that in fashion high heeled boots I will never know…lol.

We bought no new lines, though we looked at several. Quite frankly, I think we have some of the best ones in the industry already, and much of what we saw as “new” was either repetitive to what we already carry, just flat out boring, or cheaply made.

Sarah enjoyed talking with professional designers, while I really liked chatting with the people from Moore & Giles leather, who expanded my leather knowledge even further. More on that later.

We also spent nearly two hours talking with Phil Brown, who runs Hancock and Moore day to day. Great stuff, swapping plans and ideas, and I was so comfortable in this Milo Swivel Recliner I almost napped in it. Of course we bought one for the floor. Love the way this sits:

https://www.hancockandmoore.com/Prod...ail?SKU=ML4-PR

More later in the next few days…..
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Red face Re: High Point Furniture Market Spring 2022

Great, glad you both enjoyed it. Can’t wait to see some pics and hear more from both of you. I am a bit team Sarah here, would love chatting with a few professional designers. 🙂

Default Re: High Point Furniture Market Spring 2022

We are a bit slammed right now catching up and will post as time allows. Here's a little teaser from the Hancock and Moore Showroom that was fun. # 5852-S Traveler's Swivel Chair in Hyde Park Brownie Burnished with a custom hand-painted "Yellowstone" scene. This chair is compact so it fits in a lot of places, but it has a full-size sit, very comfortable and easy to live with. It's also in the Town and Country promotion so priced very well in program leathers. We ordered a floor model just as shown, except without the custom artwork. BTW, this chair in the photo is available to purchase if you can't get enough Beth Dutton.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	traveler rear 3.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	14451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	traveler side.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	14452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	traveler back.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	14453
    Last edited by drcollie; 04-05-2022 at 12:21 PM.
    Duane Collie

Want another "fun" chair? Here's another one we both really liked, so much so we ordered one exactly the same build specs.

This is the Hancock and Moore "Boomerang" Chair # 5908 done in several materials. Jessica Charles Mayan Natural fabric on inback and outback, Fenny Espresso on Seat (this is a natural shearling), Hyde Park Earth Burnished on remainder, TTT nail, Frame Builder's Premium Maple finish. These are tricky to put together from samples, but they turn out unique and handsome, and of course, it has a dreamy sit. Spectacular accent chair. Our floor model will show up probably around December.

Name:	Boomerang.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	14456
    Last edited by drcollie; 04-05-2022 at 03:20 PM.
    Duane Collie

Hancock and Moore "Peron" Bench # 6254 in Cameo Canvas Burnished, Rainier Premium Finish, "H" Nail. We debated on ordering this, Sarah thought it too expensive, I thought it so unique, and such a good sit, plus great to look being tufted that I know there are a few of our customers that would not balk at the price point, sure you can put it in a painted Chinese leather - but why would you?. So we ordered one, and if no one will buy it, I have a just the spot in my own house for it (the ultimate fall-back position on floor stock purchases). At 68" long, its a real piece of furniture - not an accent piece. Perfect for a foyer or at the foot of a King bed.

Name:	IMG-7479.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	201.3 KB 
ID:	14455
    Duane Collie

One of the things we did at Market was to go look at other leather upholstery manufacturers to see what they may offer, can we get something to offer customers other than Hancock and Moore / Bradington Young / Century / Taylor King that may come in at better price points? One of the concerns we as dealers have is the costs increasing on our primary brands we carry, we owe it to our clients to see if we can find a better value in high quality product.

Years ago we were a Leathercraft dealer, and revisited that line as well, spending an hour with the Rep in our store the week before Market, and also an hour in the showroom at High Point. They have some interesting programs including a real 6-week Quick Ship in selected frames and leathers, and their price points are very good. As Sarah and I moved through their showroom and tried out different pieces I could see Sarah was unimpressed with the line. It was somewhat plain-looking, a bit uninspiring, and neither of us really liked the sit on several of the pieces. And it dawned on me that one of the reasons I dropped Leathercraft a dozen years ago was that inconsistent sit. Even though it was her first Market, Sarah said "After coming from Hancock and Moore's showroom to this one - its a let-down". I had to agree with her, and we left without putting in an order. We went to half a dozen other leather furniture suppliers at Market, and there was nothing interesting. There are at least two hundred leather upholstery makers at Market, and they all pretty much look the same and are all price-point companies. Even Bradington Young looks better than the majority of the other suppliers. At the end of the weekend, it came down to "We have the best already, especially with Hancock & Moore products, why even bother looking at others, they are in a league of their own". There is no one doing it like H&M. No one. If there is, I haven't seen it.

BTW, Speaking of H&M, they re-opened their Solid Wood Frame Factory and are going back to that for a number of frames. One of the issues is the multi-layer plywood they are using in the CNC machines is that material no longer available and they cannot find a replacement of that quality. Luckily, they stockpiled a considerable quantity of that specialty plywood so there will be no slowdowns in production. They also opened up another upholstery line in Plant 3 to fully produce there. There continues to be a worker shortages on all levels, and they are investing in hiring young workers that bring with them no bad habits learned at other companies, and will spend the time to train them. It takes about two years of apprenticing before they are qualified to work on their own in frame-making, sewing, trimming and spring-up. I like this approach, because - quite honestly - they work different at Hancock & Moore and workers with bad habits and poor morale are not a good fit at their company. For those of you that have toured H&M, you notice there is a buzz all the time in the factory, everyone moves with purpose and you get the sense of teamwork, pride and urgency. Walk into another one of the Carolina factories and it seems like a different industry, all that is missing and its more workers just doing what has to be done.

For that reason, we are staying with Hancock and Moore as our lead brand. Yes, its more expensive. Yes, we realize not everyone wants to pay the price - its not for everyone. We ordered more stock from H&M at Market than from any other supplier and will continue to floor fifty pieces or more at all times. It's still the best, by a wide margin
    Duane Collie

Some pieces from the Hancock and Moore Showroom:

# 6731-3 Dante Sofa: Tiburon Doe GR 3 leather, Buck Finish, Welts in Tiburon Stone, G & H nails. Pillows 20" x 20" in Jessica Charles Fabrics.

Name:	sofa1.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	14467

# 6620-ET Cami Ottoman Embossed: Carver Leather GR 6, Cottswald Ivory on top, Cottswald Acorn on Remainder

Name:	dual otto.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	14468

# 5580 Faulkner Chair: Cottswald Ivory GR 4, Fleecy Fog on Seat and Front Border (shearling). Cottswald Camel on Gimp and Welt. Black Nickel nail

Name:	chair.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	14469

# 6682-3 Aviator Sofa in Hyde Park Tan Patina, Java wood.

Name:	aviatoir.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	14470

# 6784-3 Murphy Sofa in Cottswald Burlap GR 4, Wood is Bark, Nail trim Black Nickel. Pillows 20" x 20" in Jessica Charles fabric and Shearling.

Name:	sofa2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	14471
    Duane Collie

more.....

# 6593-1 Louie Chair in Tiburon Cognac (GR 3) with Tiburon Truffle on Welts and Gimp. Espresso wood.

Name:	tub.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	14472

# 6195-S Parker Swivel Chair in Shearling Taupe GR 6

Name:	shearling.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	14473

# 6195-S Parker Swivel Chair in Finery Granite GR 4, C nail. (See how the same chair can look totally different in a leather vs a shearling?)

Name:	chair.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	14474

# 6807-1 Myles Chair in Finery Mahogany GR 4, Espresso wood finish, S nail trim. (Great sitting wing chair, btw)

Name:	Wing.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	14475

HM1217C Belloir Cocktail Table, Walnut End Grain Veneers over Mahogany Solids. (matching end tables available - not shown)

Name:	Table.jpg 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	14476
    Duane Collie

# 6638-3 Danvers Sofa in leather Belfast Stone GR 2, with Reptilia Graphite on Front Arm Panels. Black Nickel Nail, Java wood finish

Name:	Danvers.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	14477

# 6580-3 Parisian Sofa in Pelham Almond Patina Burnished, Java wood, Black Nickel Nails

Name:	Parisian.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	14478

# 6715-T Ellis Tufted Ottoman in leather Hyde Park Brownie Patina Burnished. Side Panels in Ostro Mocha, Premium wood finish Chickory. Big ottoman @ 49" x 49"

Name:	Bigotto.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	14479

# 6806-1 Jameson Chair in leather Tiburon Truffle GR 3, wood finish Espresso, nail trim is DD. Matching Ottoman.

Name:	Chair and Otto.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	14480

# 6681-3 Amari Sofa in leather Tahoe Oyster Burnished GR 4, Wood finish is Espresso TTT nail Belt Gimp in Dark Brown, "J" Stitch on seat and back Cushion covers.

Name:	Sofa Patina.jpg 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	14481
    Duane Collie

Good Boy! A top seller for Maitland Smith (There is also one with an Alligator) alongside the Hancock and Moore Swindon Chair. Pretty cool piece. # 8144 Labrador Accent Table. Metallic Bronze in Cast Resin,

Name:	Good boy.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	14482
    Duane Collie