Thread: B-Y recliner conversion of 2 button switch to handheld

Default B-Y recliner conversion of 2 button switch to handheld

I am trying to figure out what kind of motor my Bradington Young recliner has so I can convert the armrest switch to a handheld control. Has anyone had any experience with this? It appears that it could be a very simple conversion provided a control with suitable plug.
    The recliner I have is from 2017 and based on some initial research, it looks like it may have a CIAR motor that uses an RJ11 (telephone type) connector to interface with the 2 button switch in the armrest.
    The 5 pin "DIN" type connector seems to be the more prevalent one.

Just trying to save myself some hassle turning over the couch to see what it is, which obviously would be the best way to get an answer - but its a pain to flip it (and my wife who had surgery is using it so would have to bother her 2 x to do this).

Also - any good sources besides Amazon for handheld buttons, if it is a RJ11 type connector that is needed?

Default Re: B-Y recliner conversion of 2 button switch to handheld

I have never heard of anyone attempting to do this, but it sounds like an interesting project. Are you looking to do a corded remote? I've never come across a wireless one for a recliner. The RJ11 jack connectors were only used a few years, then the industry when to the 5 pin DIN connectors. Good luck, let us know how you make out.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quick update on this conversion of my 2017 Bradington - Young powered recliner couch:
    1. I put the recliner in reclined mode - and was able to peek through the front of the couch and see the motor and connector for the armrest switch. It was a typical 5 pin DIN type plug with a 90 degree bend on it. It was not the "italian" RJ11 style motor/plug on this particular model so I was happy about that! (I am guessing that B-Y showed a that "Italian CIAR motor" on their website because it may be on other models or is a newer version - my couch was from 2017)
    2. I ordered a basic 2 button corded remote on Amazon with the 90 degree plug: amazon.com/dp/B07CGSKJ4M?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_detail s
    3. Lifted couch on one end so I could test the buttons without having to flip couch over 2 times
    4. cut back the dust fabric (which is quite flimsy) close to the plug. You can feel where the electric motor is by hand through the dust fabric so you know where to cut exactly.
    5. Unplugged the armrest switch and plugged in the new switch - and gave it a quick test to make sure the recliner moved.
    6. Used some tape to close up the dust fabric (not sure how long that will hold but duct tape is pretty sticky so it should be fine.
    7. Used some electrical wire "nail clips" to fasten the remote wire to the back edge of the couch so it doesn't get yanked out and to keep it tidy looking.
    Basically very straight forward. Note: Of course the armrest buttons being disconnected don't function any longer and just sit there although they could be reconnected at a later date.

I am not sure why the folks at customer support at Bradington-Young were so unhelpful and basically did not want to help figure this out when its really so simple (they would not tell me what kind of connector was on the motor) ... and I'm also surprised they don't offer this as an option on the purchase as I have found several people with disabilities who are having the same issue with the armrest button.

Anyway - hope this helps someone who may be thinking of doing similar swap out.

Glad you were able to get a conversion going, having a 5-pin DIN plug certainly makes it easier.

Very few people want a corded remote, I get maybe one request for that every ten years. But if you need one, you need one. We can sometimes get that done on a new build order if requested.

The Dust covers are there to just look finished, they do nothing at all, in fact i usually take them off my own personal furniture at home.

Customer Service at all these companies is really staffed by people who know nothing about mechanical workings of the pieces, so not being able to get assistance is not surprising if you call them. They are usually in a separate building and push paper and answer phones. The people that do know are in the plants building furniture and they are not easy to get to. It would be no different if you called Ford Motor Company in Michigan and asked them what the correct spark plug gap is for your F-150. Like that.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.