Thread: Finding Options in Rural Maine

Question Finding Options in Rural Maine

Hello!

We went to a local (1.5hrs away) dealer this past weekend to start looking for a new sectional sofa. We really want a 3 cushion sofa portion and a cuddler/wedge on the end with a rounded arm for leaning (layout photo attached)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220531_173431.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	14655. We prefer a 22-23" seat cushion depth.

The sofa we liked and left with a quote in hand is the only model in the store that met our rounded arm/cuddler/cushion depth requirements. It's a Temple Tailor Made.

The problem with comparison shopping when you live rurally is that you make take an entire day to travel to a store to find out they don't have what you're looking for, or the quality is not in line with what you had hoped.

What are some brands I should search that are in the Flexsteel to Tailor Made quality range? If I know some brands in the same range I may be able to figure out if they even have models to meet our requirements online, then if there is a dealer within a reasonable drive. Our tastes are pretty traditional (you could call them boring), and we're looking for (decent) fabric for the upholstery.

I understand that Flexsteel and Tailor Made are in different categories, but that would be our low end of quality requirements to what expect to be able to afford for quality on the high end. We'd like to keep the cost under $5k.

Thank you for any suggestions you can provide!

Default Re: Finding Options in Rural Maine

No easy answer to this, because you live in a rural area. If you want to shop, perhaps spend a day canvassing the Boston area stores, there are quite a few in that city. Try to avoid setting a quality/price budget if you can. You can definitely buy quality - its out there. If you set a number on a sectional with a target price of under $ 5K, you will have to come down a notch to mid-grade however and will be into less than ideal construction and spring up.

Flexsteel is not very good - I wouldn't buy it, but it will get you to your price point. You have to decide if you are more on the quality bias, or if the budget is more important. Temple furniture has been around forever, twenty years ago we were a dealer for them, they're OK for mid-level but ultimately didn't meet my standards in the store.

Taylor King is where I would be on your configuration. Plush Depth. Quality is far better than Flexsteel and Temple with a true 8-way hand-tied suspension, but it will be more than your budget. If you go to this link, Page 4, scroll to the PLUSH Depth and look at pieces -47 / -32, in entry level fabrics you would be @ $ 6,112 before shipping. That's basic fabrics, price will go up from there.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.tayl...10.21_V1_1.pdf

Good luck in your search!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

We are definitely tied to the $5k budget. More than that is just not realistic for us.

Any thoughts on Huntington House (specifically the "Chill" line) or Stickley compared to Temple? I don't know pricing of those yet and if they'd be in budget but they are sold at a dealer here in Maine that is a reasonable drive from home (still 2 hours, but that's life when you live in the boonies). And they both seem to have e pur desired layout based on some searches.

And thank you for your time! It is much appreciated!

I bought my H&M sofa from Stickley and you should certainly check with them but my impression is that they will be outside your price range, as well, as they were not much less expensive than H&M when I was shopping about 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
    I bought my H&M sofa from Stickley and you should certainly check with them but my impression is that they will be outside your price range, as well, as they were not much less expensive than H&M when I was shopping about 3 years ago.

Stickley appears to be a furniture line at a private dealer here. Given our wanted layout it looks like we'd be talking about the 7000 series from them.

I would expect a Stickley sectional to be more than $5k. I've never heard of the other brand. Sounds like in your budget that Temple might be a decent option based on what Duane said.