Thread: A little help, please

Default A little help, please

If you ever bought a piece of furniture from The Keeping Room in the local DC area, it was delivered by Tommy Gardner from Murrow's Transfer. He has brought me every piece of furniture from all my North Carolina suppliers for the past 30 years. Tommy is such a friend to The Keeping Room, that he even has keys to our warehouse so he can unload any time, day or night, without an appointment. He's hard-working, and always has a smile on his face. Usually he was only home one night a week, the rest of the time he uses his truck sleeper so he could keep the loads moving. I always made time to stop and talk with Tommy, and we had good visits out at the end of his semi. He is in his 50's and he and his wife are raising their two grandchildren, ages 10 and 13.

A few weeks ago Tommy didn't feel well, he had extreme weakness on his left hand side. Turns out he has four brain tumors, stage 4 Glioblastoma Multiforme. One tumor was laser-ed, the other three are too deep. This news hit me personally like a ton of bricks, he's one of my oldest and best friends in the Industry. I've been on the phone with him several times, as a Stage 4 cancer survivor myself, I know how it is.

Truckers get paid by the load, if you are not running freight then your paycheck is gone overnight. Cancer comes with a real financial cost, i know that as well. His 13 year old granddaughter is trying a go-fund-me page with t-shirts. Can you donate? I never ask for money to run this forum from anyone, its always been free - but if you have ever found one piece of useful information, then you can do me a huge favor and help out on this page? $ 5 is fine, whatever you can spare. I know they can use it.

https://www.customink.com/fundraising/tommys-battle

I don't know what the future holds for my friend Tommy, it doesn't look good, but the doctors are going to try with Chemo and Radiation. The bills will still be arriving no matter what.....

Thanks, Duane
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: A little help, please

Tommy passed away today from his brain tumor. He was the best furniture trucker I ever had the pleasure to deal with. No one can take his place, sad day for me. RIP, Tommy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-2257.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	15779
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-24-2023 at 05:06 PM.
    Duane Collie

Sorry to hear this, my condolences to the family and you. My girlfriend died two years ago from brain cancer. Her battle was hard and she is missed also.
    Last edited by Angie; 10-23-2023 at 06:15 PM.

So sorry to hear that. The same regarding your girlfriend, Angie. Condolences to both of you.

Duane, my condolences. It is so hard to lose a friend you've had for so long.

Thanks. Tommy evolved into a friend from simply delivering freight, and he brought me every piece of furniture from the Carolinas for over 25 years. He was so trusted I gave him keys to my warehouse so he could offload at 4 am, which made his day easier because otherwise to would have been 9 am! If a piece was damaged (rarely) he took it back automatically, unlike other truckers who tried to slide it by. I gave him his first GPS unit back in the 90’s before they became commonplace. He was amazed by that Garmin, as he was still using maps on his lap.

The people Murrows sends to me now since Tommy left can’t fill his shoes.
    Duane Collie

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your friend Tommy