Thread: Best Sectional for Heavy Users

Default Best Sectional for Heavy Users

Hi all-

We are moving into a new house with a much larger family room than our current house. I am looking for recommendations of companies that make deep sectionals that hold up well to a 300+ pound person. We looked at Flexsteel because of their support system but weren't particularly enamored with the styles and recent negative reviews. We had a true pit couch in an old apartment but it quickly started sagging, especially the back cushions. I also tend to fall asleep on the couch, which is why I'd prefer something deep.

Edit: Budget is 10k but ideally 7-8k.

Thanks very much.
    Last edited by El matarife; 06-11-2022 at 10:53 PM.

Default Re: Best Sectional for Heavy Users

You’re probably not going to like this answer, but it’s the truth. At that weight level, with frequent and heavy usage, you should be looking at the best in industry, nothing even close to Flexsteel. You want a heavy duty frame, a true 8-way hand tied suspension, additional corner reinforcements, and move up to a plus 1 or plus 2 core firmness over standard. Few companies offer these options, and the ones that do are not inexpensive. I have built at least twenty of this category over the years using only Hancock and Moore and all the units are still in service. Not one failure. I do not have that same level of confidence in any other line we carry, or really any other maker for that matter.

300 + lb users also tend to “drop” into upholstered furniture rather than ease into it. That’s very hard on all components. You can buy it once, or go the budget route and keep a constant stream of cheaper units coming and going every couple of years as they fail.
    Last edited by drcollie; 06-12-2022 at 01:00 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    You’re probably not going to like this answer, but it’s the truth. At that weight level, with frequent and heavy usage, you should be looking at the best in industry, nothing even close to Flexsteel. You want a heavy duty frame, a true 8-way hand tied suspension, additional corner reinforcements, and move up to a plus 1 or plus 2 core firmness over standard. Few companies offer these options, and the ones that do are not inexpensive. I have built at least twenty of this category over the years using only Hancock and Moore and all the units are still in service. Not one failure. I do not have that same level of confidence in any other line we carry, or really any other maker for that matter.

300 + lb users also tend to “drop” into upholstered furniture rather than ease into it. That’s very hard on all components. You can but it once, or go the budget route and keep a constant stream of cheaper units coming and going every couple of years as they fail.
    I love this answer! I only knew of Flexsteel through internet searches and the information out there is all over the place. I stumbled on this forum a few days ago and have been soaking it up. I had a feeling based on previous posts you were going to point me in their direction.

I was a bit surprised to see you mention the budget aspect. Admittedly I haven’t purchased a couch of this caliber, but I thought 10k would at least give me some leeway. I’d be interested in a quote regardless as that is not set in stone.

Assuming shipping to Massachusetts isn’t an issue, would you prefer I DM you here or contact via the store email?

Flexsteel is an interesting brand. I was briefly a dealer for them when a friend asked me to get a dealership so he could buy some. I kept the dealership open about a year, I really didn’t care for the workmanship and sloppy build. It’s fine for its Joe 6-pack target market however. The blue torsion spring suspension they use is very strange.

Yes, for a quote just submit here under the Quotes and Orders section and be sure to list your components by model number. If you want to price out Hancock and Moore then go to their Your Way section on their website for component numbers and we can price in a basic leather.
    Last edited by sarahc; 06-14-2022 at 11:27 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.