Thread: Will a H & M Ricki Sofa Fit through 33" Door Opening?

Question Will a H & M Ricki Sofa Fit through 33" Door Opening?

We are getting closer to deciding what sofa we're interested in purchasing and both my husband and I are both agreeing so far on the H&M Ricki sofa but we're concerned about whether it it is too deep to fit through our doorways. My husband measured and he says that the biggest one is 33 1/2" in one door and 33" in another one. Can anyone who has this size door opening and who purchased either the Ricki or similar sized sofas comment if the sofa fit or was an issue for them getting through the doorway? If it's an issue, we will have to look for something else instead. I've read that the City sofa fits through narrower doorways but not a huge fan of that particular sofa style.

The depth of our current sofa is only 32" high and depth is 37" and width is 84"-85" at the longest parts of the sofa (arms) and 82" from the bottom on end to end if we're measuring correctly, so we didn't have a problem getting it inside from what I can remember. The feet on our current sofa were not removable.

The Ricki has the following dimensions:
    Height: 38", Width: 84.5", Depth: 39.75"
    Inside Width: 74.75" Inside Depth: 22.25"
    Seat Height: 20.25" Arm Height: 24.5"

Also can someone post how tall the legs are on the Ricki?

Default Re: Will a H & M Ricki Sofa Fit through 33" Door Opening?

Our door frame is 35 inches and fit the September sofa with plenty of room. I did have to remove the outer storm door. We did not have to remove the feet of the sofa which are about 3 inches high. I could have removed the frame of the door to get the extra room if needed.
    9749 SEPTEMBER SOFA
    Height: 38", Width: 86", Depth: 42"
    Inside Width: 65" Inside Depth: 23.5"
    Seat Height: 21.5" Arm Height: 25"
    Last edited by Miles77; 07-10-2022 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks for your response, Miles77; it looks like the feet of the September sofa are perhaps shorter than the Ricki since the September are bun feet and the Ricki is more of a tapered leg but who knows, they may be the same height.

I really want to order before the new price changes but not sure if I should due to the door frame size issue we may have to deal with.

33" doorway for a H&M Ricki is probably do-able. It will be tight, and I personally would buy a door jamb pad off Amazon for the installation. Delivery companies rarely use them but they are the difference between a scuff and a clean delivery on tight entry ways. This is what we use on our local deliveries.

https://www.amazon.com/Door-Jamb-Pro.../dp/B005QSLJZQ

I can never guarantee fitment when its close, if there is a 1/2" difference between go and no go, then your only choice is to saw off a leg on the sofa or remove the door molding. The back on the Ricki is tall, so that's your limiting factor, To be on the safe side, you can also order the Ricki with removable rear legs - that will come with about a $ 150 upcharge, but it gives you the option to detach them if the door space turns out to be too tight. The fronts do not need to come off.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    33" doorway for a H&M Ricki is probably do-able. It will be tight, and I personally would buy a door jamb pad off Amazon for the installation. Delivery companies rarely use them but they are the difference between a scuff and a clean delivery on tight entry ways. This is what we use on our local deliveries.

https://www.amazon.com/Door-Jamb-Pro.../dp/B005QSLJZQ

I can never guarantee fitment when its close, if there is a 1/2" difference between go and no go, then your only choice is to saw off a leg on the sofa or remove the door molding. The back on the Ricki is tall, so that's your limiting factor, To be on the safe side, you can also order the Ricki with removable rear legs - that will come with about a $ 150 upcharge, but it gives you the option to detach them if the door space turns out to be too tight. The fronts do not need to come off.
    Thanks so much Duane! I realize you can't give a guarantee but is your best guess that if we order the Ricki with the extra upcharge of the rear legs being removable that it should fit through a 33" inch doorway? We really like that particular one but our other option will have to be from the BY line in something that doesn't have such a tall back. I've made a list of those after going through their website but both my husband and I would prefer the Ricki.

Also, do you know the length of the Ricki legs? We didn't think of measuring when we went to look and the closest store that carries H & M is about 1 1/2 hour away.

I have a high degree of confidence that a Ricki with removable back legs would fit through a 33” door. I don't have one to measure but the rears are about 2.5” (guess). That makes your 33” door a 35” or better.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I have a high degree of confidence that a Ricki with removable back legs would fit through a 33” door. I don't have one to measure but the rears are about 2.5” (guess). That makes your 33” door a 35” or better.
    Thank you so much for the quick reply. My husband says that if we remove the front door that we should have a clearance of 35" vs. the 33" without removing it so now I'm thinking it may be better to do that vs. ordering legs that are removable.

Agreed.
    Duane Collie