Thread: Price increase from Royal Pedic effective August 1, 2022

Default Price increase from Royal Pedic effective August 1, 2022

Royal Pedic bedding rarely takes price increases, the owner dislikes them very much and only does them every four to five years. Today one arrived effective August 1, 2022 and it's significant. There are a few days to get an order in under 2021 pricing, but there is already a freight surcharge so that has been added to the 2021 pricing.

For Example;

Royal Pedic Set Mattress and Box Spring - All Cotton Premier - ( available only to Brick and Mortar stores, not the internet line) - our # 1 seller and what I have in my own home

* Queen $ 5,837 (2021) going to $ 8,490 (2022)
    * King $ 6,719 (2021) going to $ 9,640 (2022)

Remote locations may have an additional charge on freight. Haul away old bedding is $ 150 if offered in your area.

If you have always wanted one of the best handmade mattresses on the market today, you have a few days to literally save thousands. These never go "on sale" from Royal Pedic, so be aware of that as well.
    Last edited by drcollie; 07-21-2022 at 10:24 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Price increase from Royal Pedic effective August 1, 2022

45% is a pretty big jump, especially after they just did an increase last year! Not sure how big the one was last year though...

I am getting around to that time when I need a new mattress. We have two twin XLs in a king frame because my wife likes her side plush and I like more firm. Is the current Royal Pedic twin XL pricing around $4k?

Default Re: Price increase from Royal Pedic effective August 1, 2022

Tony Kelemen, who owns Royal Pedic, is one of the most decent men in this industry. I've been a dealer for him now for 20 years or so. We talk on the phone several times a year about the state of the business and he's Old School like I am. He doesn't believe in taking shortcuts to keep prices down, he will not move his production to Mexico (which would save a lot of money and isn't far away for him) and wants to use American manpower to make the bedding in Los Angeles. He is still of the opinion air freighting the bedding is the best way to get it to the customer in a timely manner. I can't fault his thinking, I would be the same way. There are so many ways to cheapen the contents of the internals, from sourcing less expensive cotton batting to getting latex with a higher synthetic content rather than the 92% pure he uses. If he did, you would never know as a consumer because you can't see inside the bedding. Springs could be thinner.....the list goes on and on. It's a premium bed, not everyone has the budget for it, or wants to spend that much. But you know, you spend 1/4 to 1/3 your life sleeping - in my mind thats the not the place to scrimp in your bedding.

I have (4) Royal Pedics in my home, and the King that my wife and I sleep on is probably 14 years old now. I asked Tony "When Should I replace it?" Tony's honest answer was "When you feel its no longer supportive. You can get 20 years, maybe more out of it, that's up to you". So as this price increase looms I have considered a replacement for myself before August 1, but quite frankly we don't need it. I think it may have lost maybe 5 to 8% of its firmness since new, and that's not much. I rotate it three times a year. Universally, when we go out of town and sleep on other beds my wife and I complain about how bad they are.

This is from one of my clients who took the leap to Royal Pedic two weeks ago, I got a kick out of this:

"Duane, It’s only been two nights sleep on the RP and it may seem seem miraculous but my sore back and neck are already healed. I’m not kidding! When I first laid on the bed on arrival I was a little bit nervous on its firmness, as it m accustomed to a very soft bed. When I slept in it the first night I didn’t wake up one time and I felt refreshed. Today, my neck and back, which has recently (last two months) been in in extreme pain are feeling great! Just to let you know I’ve been sleeping on a couch in my room to alleviate the pain. I’ve always paid good money for a mattress, and I admit I always lay in the mattress at the stores and loved the feel of a soft cushy mattress - which always sold me. After reading your numerous posts on mattress firmness and the trust I have in you because of your willingness to share information for free, I put my full trust in your opinion. When I went to showroom to lay in the RP bed, I wasn’t excited about the firmness at all. But I put my faith in you and made the purchase. And I’m glad I did. This might be the best purchase I have made. I’m back in my bed with my wife!"

I don't like to see price increases any more than you do, nor does Tony like to implement them. The alternative is to reduce costs to produce and that of course is how you ruin your product and good name. It works for a few years, then the product failure starts as items age with use. All I can really say is if you ever entertained the thought of a Royal Pedic, I'd get one before August 1st.

DanW99, a Twin XL Mattress only is currently $ 3,624 and I would have to call to see what additional freight charges would be added on that as they are already in effect. But that's a firm one, the firmest they make. For a softer one, you would probably want the Royal Pedic Quilt Top for your wife, its softer - but taller by 3", so the bedding would be uneven. I'd have to call Tony and talk to him about making you a special bed so it was same height on each side, but the one side firm, the other plush using a pair of Twin XL matts. We'd want to do it right. Ping me off forum if you want to pursue!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.