Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New recliner time.

Default New recliner time.

Duane, first of all thank you for all the valuable information regarding furniture construction that you have made available on this site. It has provided me with many hours of reading. I am in the market for a new recliner and was hoping that maybe you could be of some assistance recommending a chair for me. I had a rocker recliner, made by catnapper that was 11 years old and the frame has broken. It was your typical overstuffed plush manual recliner with some sort of fabric that resembled leather with its texture, but was very smooth to the touch and very comfortable for me. I found myself sleeping in this thing more than in my bed. For size, I am 6'2", and weigh anywhere from 225-260 depending on the day. I have been looking at recliners by Bradington Young and Hancock & Moore, due to the high quality reputation that both of these brands have. While looking I noticed that the styling isn't very similar to the massively plush recliners that I had once owned. Forgive me for my lack of proper terminology of different styles, but many of the H&M and B&Y isn't for me. Not a fan of "high legs", or the "short arms". I guess I like a proportionately squarish type chair, but looking for one with a higher back, due to my height. I liked the "Cody", "BlackHawke" and "Austin" style chairs, but don't know if those would be too small for me. One style that I liked from B-Y is the William, which I think would be appropriate for my size but would love your opinion. The other aspect I am looking for opinions on would be the cloth or leather. As I stated above I love to sleep in recliner, but I am concerned that with leather It may make me sweat. Now maybe different grades or types of leather would suit sleeping in much better than others which is where I would like some advice. Or if not, is there a type of fabric that H&M or B-Y offers that would be similar to micro suede and its coziness? I guess trying to figure out fabric type with out seeing or touching is very hard to accomplish via the internet. I usually get brown in color so not too worried about staining. Thank you for your time and if I need to explain myself better let me know and I will try.

Default Re: New recliner time.

Trying these out is a good idea. You probably want to go up to H&M's quality mechanism for a recliner since you get up to 260 lbs. The Bradington Young recliner we own did not stand up to a 320 lb. guest all day for two weeks. He and his kid were roughhousing playfully while he was reclined. But the weight was just too much for the mechanism and they sheared off several small springs. It still works, but it creaks now. Any reclining mechanism is prone to failure, especially when the weight gets up there.
    Last edited by Miles77; 08-21-2022 at 01:19 PM.

"He (320 lb) and his kid were roughhousing playfully while he was reclined"

This is what breaks recliner mechs. It was never designed to withstand that. Most likely you have sheared rivets in the mechs, and total failure will likely occur. You can replace the mech if you know the model number of the recliner - send your guest the bill for it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Miles77 - So is there different Mechs available for the H&M chairs, or is the mechanism that they use better than the Bradington-Youngs?

Nothing says Joe-6-Pack like a Jackson Catnapper brand recliner. https://www.catnapper.com/Products/Recliners

You are correct, none of the premium recliner makers build like that any longer, they have evolved from that 1960's/1970's styling many years ago. Hancock & Moore is as much about style as it is about quality in the build, and they are not inexpensive. Expect to pay in the $ 4K ballpark range for one. The Cody and Austin recliners are too small for you, park those off to the side. The Blackhawke is one I don't usually recommend, I just find there are better models that that 1-piece back unit for most men.

At your size my # 1 pick in H&M would be the 7150 Westwood (we have one arriving next week), or the 1044 Sadler if your hips are not wide. The Westwood in particular is such a great recliner, there's a reason they don't stay in stock long.

https://www.hancockandmoore.com/Prod...tail/?SKU=7150

Leather outwears fabric 4 to 1, and motion furniture is high-friction due to the recline features. I personally would always go leather in motion for that reason. Good leather is not sticky, not at all.

They B-Y 4068 William would be a good choice and it will be less money than H&M.

Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie

Duane, thank you for your recommendations. For the B&Y William, is the grade 1 leather "good" leather and not stickey or would I need to up the grade to get quality? I guess I would ask about the H&M products as well would the basic protected leather that they off suit my needs as well? And for my own sanity would you be able to quote me on a B&Y 7150 Williams and the H&M 7150 Westwood in the non stickey leather grades? I would need shipping to 13069 zip. Thank you.

Thanks, Duane. They are my in-laws. I'll have to order a new mechanism when it does finally stop functioning.

Mr. Bee: I've been happy with the B-Y, just not with the behavior of my in-laws. I don't know if H&M uses a better mech, but in general, their build quality is higher than B-Y. I have an H&M sofa too and you can tell it's a better piece. The fit and finish is better. That being said, I think that B-Y is a very good quality piece of furniture.
    Last edited by Miles77; 08-21-2022 at 05:21 PM.

Hancock and Moore as well as Bradington Young both use mechanisms from either Leggett & Platt, or Ultra Mech. To order, you will have to go through a dealer and have the model number or name of your recliner. They are model-specific and not generic.

All B-Y leathers and H&M are Top Grain hides, nothing from either company is either bi-case, bonded or from splits. I prefer aniline hides as they feel more natural (and are) whereas "Protected" leathers are simply leathers with painted topcoats. By far, most stores and clients select finished leathers (Painted) due to the easy cleaning if something spills on them, and the generally lower price of them. Anilines are for the person who wants more of the leather "Experience"

For quotes, please complete a request in the QUOTES AND ORDERS page here on the forum.
    Duane Collie

my wife and I are in the market for two chairs. We are wanting to have the frames built wider so the seat will be 27 or 28 inches wide. I contacted H & M about this and was told they have done this in the past. My wife likes the Austin High Back with Ottoman. I like either the same or the Author. we just want comfortable chairs. please help us. There is no dealer in our area who has any in their showroom for bus to go Loog at. thank you

Replied to in another post. Please post just once, we read them all !
    Duane Collie