Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping by price instead of quality

Default Shopping by price instead of quality

Recently a nice couple came into the store looking for a pair of Kitchen Island Stools. We keep a display of Hancock and Moore ones, but they were not at all interested once they saw the price tags. They asked me what else I had at a lower price point? We had both Hooker Furniture and Woodbridge as imports that still build a decent piece, they were half the price of the Hancock and Moore, coming in around $ 800 to $ 900 each. Still too expensive, they said "What do you have for around $ 350 each?" And I replied "Sorry, nothing, because at the retail they will be loose and coming apart in 12 to 18 months, and that's not an area we are interested in, durability is always a key to the lines we represent".

Then I went on to explain to them that in most modern kitchens, the two Stools are typically used every single day, sometimes multiple times and have a lot of stress on them. Not only are they an elevated chair, by simply using them they slip in and out from the counter - which combined with the movement and height, puts enormous pressure on that leg-to-frame joint. If that joint is not done properly, the glue bond breaks and the wobbling begins, with eventual failure of the piece. And of course I go on and tell them that barstools, the master bed, the daily use sofa and recliner, plus kitchen chairs are not the place to economize. If you have several rooms to furnish and a limited budget, go lesser quality on things like bedroom chairs (mostly used to toss clothes upon), formal living room, or guest bedroom furniture. Even the formal dining room can be down-market because they are used infrequently. Put your dollars into the daily use items.

Then back to the barstools, I got into the joinery with them a little and tried to keep it short so they didn't get an overload of information. The best joints are Mortise and Tenon with a through cross pin in the mortise. Those will last for decades, but few do them as they are labor intensive. Next best is a dowel joint with corner brace, they are the industry standard for most better made furniture and will hold up well. Pocket hole joints are next, involving screws driven into the frame member on a simple Butt Joint. After that we get into some questionable joinery that is bound to fail such as biscuit joints or simple lap joints with screws / staples with glue. Wood glues do a good job until you put twisting motion on the joints, then they break down. Every scoot back on a barstool is that twisting motion. To see examples of these various joinery types with images go here:

https://mtcopeland.com/blog/types-of-wood-joints/

They thanked me for my time and left, they had to stick to that lower budget price point. But that's OK, I get that. Sometimes you have a top limit on what you can spend, but they almost certainly they will be buying them twice. They will find the lesser priced stools somewhere, they will last a few years and fail - and then they will say to each other "Remember that guy at that furniture store we went to that told us that would happen? Where was that store again?"
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-05-2022 at 09:45 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Shopping by price instead of quality

Very True, Duane! Best sales people educate, explain differences and read them the tea leaves..as you correctly alluded, they will be back one day!

Sometimes you need to follow a budget and those few years the items last may be all you need to advance in your career until you can afford to buy the good stuff. When they are there, like you said, they will remember you. So education and patience combined with respect for the current situation of the customer all lead to return customers in the future.

On that note, my bosses are renovating our office. One of our graphic designers sent this list of sofa options Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sofas_Page_1.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	15240 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sofas_Page_2.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	15241 and it's killing me. I'm assuming Hooker's Chester stationary would be much better quality https://www.hookerfurniture.com/ches...formation.aspx Not sure that 2,499 is accurate but overall, just killing me after learning so much from your website.

Well, what can I say. If they want to buy cheap furniture for the office that looks bad, sits worse and won't last, those should be right on target. And that color blue? Ugh - that is going to show EVERY stain.

A lot depends on what kind of office and who is using these pieces. Do you need to impress clients or at least make them feel comfortable? Or is this break room pieces? Is this being done on the cheap? Maybe suggest the graphic designer should not be in charge of the decorating?

Anthropology is so awful. I looked at one of their sofas in their stores while my wife was shopping there I think I blurted out loud "Who would ever buy this junk?"

But you don't need H&M for offices unless you are K Street Lobbyist. I would suggest to go vinyl or leather, because they will definitely outlast those polyester blues and the cleaning crew won't destroy the cover.
    Duane Collie

Pretty spot on for what I expected your reply to be. I'm not sure exactly what this sofa is being used for. Thanks for your other insights, e.g. the color showing every stain, hadn't thought of that.

They ended up ordering this sofa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BZX4VDR...ing=UTF8&psc=1. Came in today 99% assembled except for the legs. It's still in the box so haven't sat on it yet. I can try and take photos if anyone likes, though I'm not sure build quality will come through photos.

What can I say....you can lead a horse to water......
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    What can I say....you can lead a horse to water......
    Indeed...*sigh*

You might want to suggest they buy some Scotchguard for that piece - and reapply frequently! Light blue velvet......there may be worse choices for an office, but I can't think of what they might be.
    Duane Collie