Thread: Author Chair in Burnished Hyde Park Mocha

Default Author Chair in Burnished Hyde Park Mocha

Hi Duane and Sarah,

I received the Author chair with its ottoman today and was immediately impressed with how tight and well-built it is. I'm 5ft 11in/220 lbs. and the Author chair is the perfect size for me. It's a bit stiffer than I imagined and I like the support. It's an armchair that puts you at just the right position to read or surf the web. The Hyde Park Mocha burnished finish is beautiful. We have a September sofa with Document Copper which is a protected, painted leather. The Hyde Park Mocha is a step above the Document. It feels like real leather; like a good baseball glove. Some people have complained about the squeakiness of the leather. I don't notice it at all. The Ultra down seat feels just right for the chair too.

The buying experience was excellent, thanks to Sarah. She made the whole process easy and comfortable. I had originally ordered the Doyle sofa in Tilton Moose, but realized that I needed a good reading chair instead. She was able to cancel the order for the Doyle and prepare the order for the Author chair without any issues. I changed my order quickly before any work had started on the Doyle sofa.

So this is the fifth piece of furniture from the Keeping Room; a September sofa, a Tresanton bench, an Author's chair, a matching ottoman and a Bradington Young Alta recliner. I do notice that the Hancock & Moore is built with more attention to detail. On the card with the registration number, all the people in the plant who worked on this Author's chair signed off. They clearly take pride in their work and it shows.
    Last edited by Miles77; 10-08-2022 at 08:22 PM.

Default Re: Author Chair in Burnished Hyde Park Mocha

Great! The Author chair is always a great seller, and I didn’t get to see yours because the Doc has told me to stay out of the warehouse for another month. Allen and Julio unboxed it and brought it to you yesterday. If you do find the leather too noisy for your liking, a coat of Moore and Giles #33 cream will eliminate 80% of the noise, we always keep that in stock and it will soften the leather as well. Your Author chair will last a lifetime, keep it out of the direct sun, clean and condition with the #33, and it will get better with age.

We appreciate your business and thank you for your loyalty!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

This past Saturday, a long-time customer came in the store to replace his Hancock & Moore # 1044 Sadler recliner in a GR 4 Leather (Antelope). It was appx 13 years old and he had not done the cleaning/conditioning protocol over the years (as you hear us preach constantly about) and the leather because stained and unsightly. With the current price structure, that recliner came out to be in the mid $ 5K range to order a new one. We have the Bradington Young Alta Recliner on the floor in a basic leather at half the price that he could take home immediately. It's no secret that when the H&M Sadler came out, it was very popular and B-Y got hold of one and copied it. That's very common in the industry, everyone does it. This made him stop and think about the pricing, he could buy the B-Y, which is basically a clone, and while he would not have as nice a leather, it would save quite a bit of money. After about 20 minutes he said "No, it's appealing because of the price, but the workmanship and details on the Hancock & Moore are superior, I think my H&M sits a little better, plus that leather I like so much make it the only choice for me". And we re-ordered that Sadler for him.

There is no question in my mind that Hancock and Moore is best in the industry when it comes to making upholstered furniture. However, we also realize that not everyone needs/wants/enjoys that level of craftsmanship so we do have less expensive lines such as Bradington Young available, to try to cover all budgets and needs and still have long-lasting pieces. When we happen to have both models in the store at the same time (Sadler and Alta), customers will always prefer the Hancock and Moore, without fail. However, sales are about everyly split, sometimes the lower cost of the B-Y unit makes it more suitable for a particular person. It's good to have choices.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

deleted.