Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Quick Trip to the High Point Furniture Market Oct 2022

Default Re: Quick Trip to the High Point Furniture Market Oct 2022

I absolutely LOVE this forum and while I may not come every day like I used to since I ordered furniture after months of reading/researching this site, I still come back for updates such as when you post about the furniture market events in High Point. I felt like I could trust you fully after reading so many posts and you always answered my questions (or Sarah did) in a very timely manner. That's why I purchased from you as well as for the fact that you are upfront, honest, and have shared so much needed information for the average furniture shopper who has no clue about the quality of items inside the way you do.

I understand that it is a huge amount of time, money, effort, energy, etc. spent on both of your parts to keep this site up but I do appreciate it greatly. Maybe post about this forum (advertise by mouth, not meaning advertising by paying money) on FB and other social sites to give people who have no clue about it's existence. I know you are on those sites, but I mean mentioning the forum frequently. I ran across your site doing research on quality furniture and hit the jackpot when I found this site.

I actually registered for an account just to tell you that last year, when I was buying furniture for a new house, this forum was absolutely invaluable to me. I've moved to the midwest from the DMV, and I preferred buying from somewhere closer, but I've suggested a couple of friends from DC check out your store.

I was checking back on the forum to see what you were saying about Taylor King delivery times, which is interesting. I ordered two sofas in March 2022, and was told to expect delivery in November 2022, which was a long time but acceptable for what I wanted. When my dealer checked in October, the build had been pushed back to "late January 2023." Since you said in the fall that TK could not get their delivery time under 10 months, I guess it's not surprising. On the plus side, the love seat and two chairs from my screen porch look surprisingly good in the living room, and served me well for the holidays. Just hoping I have the "real" furniture before Easter!

Thanks so much for the valuable resource, and know that there are unregistered lurkers out there.

Yes, TK is not delivering under 10 months, its not happening any time soon. Their furniture is popular, because it has good style, is build solidly and is priced better than the competition in its class. We could sell a LOT more of it if delivery were quicker. So why is it not?

Taylor King was bought by the prior owners of Hancock & Moore quite some time ago when it was floundering. Jack Glasheen, Jimmy Moore, and Tim Rodgers got it turned around and instilled the H&M values into the place. All three of those gentlemen are retired now and this past summer Jack sold his shares to Jimmy and Tim. They are not active in the business and rarely go there, its run by Del Starnes who does an amazingly good job and he's a great guy as well.

Backlogs continue to pile up and they can only build them so fast. The ONLY solution for upper tier producers is to add production lines and that means a new building, machines and workers (that's a whole story in and of itself to find 80 or so qualified works in that region). Sherrill did it in 2021, H&M did it re-activating plant 2 in 2022, and Century did it by purchasing Classic Leather just recently. Those are all companies run and owned by younger people who don't mind pouring millions into setting up another production facility and tons of sweat equity as well. TK, owned by retirees, and just doesn't have the push from the Principles to do so. Jimmy is well into his 80's and Tim is in his 70's and retired financially secure from the sale of their companies a few years ago. I think they are both content to simply collect their checks at this point, and I don't blame them. It would take new owners at Taylor King to see a ramp-up in delivery times by adding more capacity OR a drastic fall off in orders. I don't see either happening. Were I in my 40's I would make a run at buying Taylor King and building it up further, I like that company that much. At age 68 though, I don't have that kind of energy.

We love Taylor King at The Keeping Room, but we can't get it in a timely manner either. That's why we moved to Sherrill upholstery as they are half the time frame with their new facilities and production lines - and make the same quality product for similar price points. Customers don't' mind waiting 4 to 5 months in this climate, but 10 months pushes their patience and you even start to forget what you ordered!
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-20-2023 at 11:58 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.