Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quick Trip to the High Point Furniture Market Oct 2022

Default Re: Quick Trip to the High Point Furniture Market Oct 2022

The last of the High Point Furniture Market photos. All of these pieces have been ordered for the store as shown (some pillow fabrics were changed)

Woodbridge Bookcase

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bookcase.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	15128

Sherrill 3131-3 Sofa - fantastic sit!

Name:	shercity.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	15129

Sherrill 2019 Sofa

Name:	sherava.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	15130

Sherrill 6008 Recliner

Name:	Sherrecliner.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	15131

Sherrill SW1819 Swivel Chair

Name:	Sherswivel.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	15132
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I really enjoy Duane’s and Sarah’s posts with photos from market including details on the leathers and finishes used on each frame. Thank you!

I’m wondering if the Henley Recliner/Swivel is available with a glider option too. When I can afford it, I hope to order just such a combo from The Keeping Room, but need to be content for now with the Ava sofa recently ordered and the Ace chair that I will soon order in Carver Olive with Espresso finish (thank you Sarah and Duane for guiding my choices on both frames!).

I would prefer the Manning recliner but unfortunately it is not available with a glider mechanism and that’s critical to my enjoyment of the recliner, probably even more so than the swivel feature. The glider is great for lulling you to sleep before engaging the recline for those wonderful Sunday afternoon (or anytime for that matter) naps!

The Bing is also a contender.

Once again, I’m very appreciative of the wonderful service provided by this forum!

Thanks! It took several hours to post all that, so I'm glad to get some feedback that its being looked at. The Forum is so quiet these days (everyone wants Instagram with pictures and minimum content) that I was asking Sarah if this Forum is even still relevant in 2022. We can't tell if there are active users or not, and only know from comments or posts.

That Henley is a super-nice unit, but it won't have a glider in it. When you put the Swivel / Glider in the unit, it raises the bottom height from the floor considerably and you lose the sleek look. Plus it makes for a very complicated mechanism asking the chair to rock, swivel and glide, sometimes they can warble a bit on the base when all that is going on. I have to say, this chair doesn't look like much in the photo, but its one of the best recliners I have sat in for a long time. It just fits and it works.
    Duane Collie

It’s certainly still relevant to me, but I do understand the many hours of time required to answer every question in such a thorough and detailed manner.

The forum has been invaluable to me since I discovered it a month or so ago and helped me make a much better decision in purchasing a sofa as I was ready to purchase a fabric upholstered sofa from a company that I knew very little about (I even called you about that company before reading further on the forum and realizing that wasn’t the best use of your time).

I think it would probably have been a fine sofa as it seemed to meet all the requirements of fine furniture and was in the $3,000 price range, but my resistance to leather vanished after reading this forum and I purchased the before mentioned Ava for not a great deal more in the then current Town and Country program with the married leather Angelo Putty option.

I would love to have been able to afford a Capri or Carver leather on the Ava frame but will be very happy with the Angelo Putty!

So my vote as to the forum’s relevance would be a resounding YES, but I certainly understand that the time required is very substantial! For me, the more information, the better, as I’m sure you and Sarah have ascertained from my numerous emails!

One clarifying question for me about the Henley. You mentioned the complicated nature of asking a chair to rock, swivel, and glide. Did you mean recline, swivel, and glide or are rock and glide two separate things (I know the mechanics are different) and a chair that swivels will also rock to a certain extent!

Thanks again!

I read it several times a week, Duane. Learn alot. Not on any social media but I know am a unicorn. I know I am aging myself but have to laugh at people who want minimal content, minimal discussion, etc., for a big decision. If it costs a fair amount of money, you need to do some research. No cliff notes, no readers digest version, do the work.....I have faith those instagram folks become confused in a whirlwind of briefs and 10 second marketing schmaltz and eventually slow down and ask questions.

I would miss not reading your post. I would not have bought from you if I hadn't found this forum googling furniture. I'm so glad I did and I'm still learning. Thank you for your time and I read it several times a week also.

This forum has been a major asset to me over the years. There is nothing else like it out there. Fully realize that the time that goes into into it is like another job. Providing photos, detailed explanations, descriptions, etc. Along with answering questions. But for people looking for their next furniture purchase or just those that appreciate nice furniture in general. This particular forum is very helpful and interesting.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. It took about 7 hours to photo, edit and post all those Market photos and when all you hear is crickets then you wonder (at least I do) if anyone is bothering to even read it. This forum has been going on since 2008, so fourteen years now. I realize things go out of date and people move to other venues, right now things like Tik Tok and Instagram are the preferred media streams but those are not places where you can not do detailed Q&A and database, they are mostly just entertaining videos and pretty pictures. I'm 68 now, Sarah is 31. Her generation - which is the upcoming one - prefers to have media delivered to them on their phone, whereas this forum venue requires you to reach out and works better on a computer than mobile device and that's a major difference.

We will continue to run this forum as long as its relevant but there is a real cost to it as well, appx $ 3,000 a year to keep it going without adding in the hours of time it takes for content. This is my 15,502 post, and my average is 3 per day since the creation of this forum, 7 days a week. Your replies or questions are what tells us it is still being used, it's a 2-way communication stream. There are so many search bots that crawl through the forum, when we see "Number of Users Online" about 2/3's of them are bots, so keep the content coming!
    Duane Collie

"Did you mean recline, swivel, and glide or are rock and glide two separate things (I know the mechanics are different) and a chair that swivels will also rock to a certain extent"

Yes, a "Glider" and a "Rocker" are two different mechs but do the same thing. A Rocker has its low point at the end of each swing cycle, its highest point is at its center. A Glider is the opposite, its low point is the center and highest points in the travels are at the ends. Think of a Rocker like those old ponies on a spring at a playground, and a Glider like a porch swing. Because they both arc, the chair has to be built higher off the ground leading to the mechanism being visible underneath. When you do only a swivel, the chair can be built low to the ground is is more attractive. No swivel-only should rock at all - that's the sign of bad bearings of a cheap mechanism with poor tolerances in the production.
    Duane Collie

Thank you for answering, Duane! I was hoping there might be a bit of rocking or gliding motion in a recliner that swivels because the gliding rocking will be more important to me in a recliner than the swivel when I can afford to order a Hancock and Moore recliner.