Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quick Trip to the High Point Furniture Market Oct 2022

Default Re: Quick Trip to the High Point Furniture Market Oct 2022

"you should be able to get page view / traffic stats from your web host, and they should be able to divide them by spiders vs regular users."

That might be above my pay grade to get there....lol
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-29-2022 at 05:33 PM.

You will want a swivel/rocker/Recliner then. Take a look at the Helskini by Fjords, it does all that and is motorized as well. I have one in my basement rec room that I sit in when watching the BIG TV. These are in the mid $ 2K range and are preconfigured for battery power if you don't want to run a cord to an outlet. We actually have one in stock at the moment, too.

https://www.myfurnitureforum.com/sho...light=helsinki
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I did consider the Helsinki and am not at all opposed to the look. In fact, I’d asked Sarah about that very model in an earlier email.

But when I can afford it (I need to save up after the Ava sofa and Ace chair purchase) I’m pretty sure I’d rather go with the Hancock and Moore Bing recliner with glide and swivel, especially comfort being equal (and I would hope that the Bing would be even more comfortable than the Helsinki), even though it will be more expensive. I’m hoping that Tilton Ruby would be a good option for the Bing and still available when I’m ready as much as I’d like to be able to afford a Capri or even Carver leather.

Thank you for the Fjords suggestion!

Of course Capri is only one class above Tilton, but there doesn’t seem to be a red-base color choice in the Capri line unless Butternut has a little red. It’s hard to tell from a photo on the internet and I seem to recall that photos of frames in Capri Butternut are more brown than red and I’d like deep red tones for the Bing recliner.
    Last edited by ddmorganson; 10-30-2022 at 02:17 AM.

Capri used to have reds, but they dropped them due to slower sales. In those color ways. Colors come and go, and greens are making a comeback along with a shift to lighter browns instead of dark.
    Duane Collie

A couple more photos….

This is Regina on the left, from Hancock and Moore. She’s such a sweetie! She puts together the showroom design for every Market and comes up with the leathers and fabric combos you see on every showroom piece. So when you see a nice display or cool combos, it’s a pretty sure bet it was Regina who thought it up. I have never seen Regina without the biggest smile imaginable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8E0A963D-4750-4FAA-8FD2-F37F3EE94D0C.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	15134

This is Alex Shuford III, he’s the CEO of all the Rock House Brands and Owner of all the companies under that corporate umbrella.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	506BD0C7-D73D-451D-A11D-3CFE6602C9A6.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	15135
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-30-2022 at 08:45 AM.
    Duane Collie

Hi Duane, I also very much appreciate you keeping the Forum going! I check it out a couple of times a week and find it particularly valuable - particularly given that I've moved out of the area and can't stop by as often. I don't post that often and should more frequently, but I love it. That said, I understand the commitment both in terms of money and time.

I wonder if it is worth polling those placing orders on whether they were familiar with or used the Forum when choosing to purchase through you?

Also, I think bringing in Sherrill as a brand is a great idea. Having owned both Sherrill and Taylor King I would agree they are pretty comparable.

Thanks Chris! I started the forum as an informational source more than as a sales generator. It was 2008, we were in the middle of a Recession and there were ZERO customers. I was sitting in the store day after day - bored. Meanwhile, other stores were going out of business as they were highly leveraged and could not survive the lack of sales. I did not have that concern - but spent my time on Garden Web in the Furniture section reading the TRULY bad advice people were giving one another. I would respond with the correct answers and then people would say "this guy is a professional, I'd like to maybe buy from you - where is your store?" Then I would post back "The Keeping Room in Alexandria VA" and then Garden Web would throw me off their forum as I was not allowed to mention my store name. They did that three times and each time I was reinstated I would last about 2 weeks and get tossed off again. Finally I said "enough", I'll start my own and they no one can throw me off (Kind of like Elon Musk now with Twitter, right?). And that's how it got going. I fully realize that many users of the forum will not buy from our store, and I'm fine with that - it really exists primarily for information and as long as i get enough sales to cover the $ 3K cost annually of it, I'm good.

I like Taylor King, but there are unable to improve on 10 month build times and are unable to work through their backlogs with innovation and upgrades. Customers will not wait 10 months for something to be made, at least 90% of them won't and we have had a number of clients leave the store when we are honest and tell them that (Other stores just tell them 4 months and let the chips fall when they may). I am not dropping the line, but until they can get their build times down we won't be ordering much for floor stock.

Sherrill builds a product in line with Taylor King and Hancock and Moore, and in 2021 they invested heavily in a whole new factory to get their delivery times down to 4 to 5 months, plus they have been trying to get into my store for several years now. Not only did their VP of Sales drive up from Hickory along with their lead designer and area sales rep just to come to my store, but they worked with me to ensure I was able to have their best program pricing to get started with floor models. When I was at their showroom last week (you will get a kick out of this) Alan Price and I actually flipped a sofa onto its back so I could check out the build quality including the leg attachment method, the 8-way spring system, the steel banding, the webbing tension and the spring edge. The CEO of Sherrill (unbeknownst to me at the time) was sitting in a chair not too far away bemused by all this as he watched me do this. Other dealers were slightly horrified that there was a dealer that just turned a sofa over and gave me some unusual looks as I was down on the ground poking at the suspension .... It was, afterall, an elegant setting where everyone is in coat and ties and I'm in running shoes and a Polo. But hey! I have to see what I am going to represent and short of going to the factory, this is the only way. I never sell a line that I don't believe in and would not have in my own home.

Sometimes you just have to flip a sofa.....
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-31-2022 at 10:48 AM.
    Duane Collie

Good Morning Duane,

I wanted to thank you and Sarah for the Forum as well. It has certainly had a huge impact on the furniture that my wife and I (and now little baby boy) have in our home. I check in with the forum more than I should...probably close to daily haha. I will post my adventures in cleaning the burnished Authors Chair and Ottoman this weekend!!!...DAYLIGHT SAVINGS....#TAKECAREOFYOURCOW

I have no marketing experience and while my generation is typically thought to be social media savvy (I'm 37)...I don't use it much. So with that huge lump of salt....I would think users of instagram or Facebook would find the information in the forum helpful...the leather education forum post broken down to bite sized posts...protected vs unprotected...the meaning of the terms (Hand, Burnished, Pull-up)...lot of content in this forum to mine...all that is work no doubt but the knowledge contained in this forum is priceless.

Thank you again and looking forward to having a reason to buy more furniture from The Keeping Room!!

You're welcome! And thank you for buying all the way from Florida, your support keeps this forum running and the store in business! We appreciate it.
    Duane Collie