Thread: Custom Sofas?

Default Re: Custom Sofas?

Hi Tony,

The only company with which I have direct experience is Joybird. My brother and I both ordered the same sofa from Joybird. I ordered mine a little earlier than did he.

My sofa came and turned out to be too large for my space. It fit just fine but was deeper than I wanted. We moved it to my brother’s home (right next door to mine) and he canceled his order.

This was probably six or so years ago but the sofa hasn’t aged well. Mainly the cushions which pretty much collapsed after only a few months use. I don’t remember the specific model, but the legs go out at an angle (not vertical) and are always rotating with the slightest movement and have to constantly be put back to the proper direction. Other than those complaints, it’s been a fairly sturdy sofa, but I would definitely NOT recommend purchasing that particular model or probably not any other sofas from Joybird.

I don’t know but suspect that the other manufacturers might be the same as far as quality is concerned.

I would highly recommend reading more of the very valuable information on this forum. You may end up doing what I did, purchasing a Hancock and Moore sofa (and chair) through Sarah and Duane at The Keeping Room.

I’ll not receive my order until sometime next Spring but am totally confident that it will exceed all expectations!

Default Re: Custom Sofas?

"Mainly the cushions which pretty much collapsed after only a few months use"

Foam is the second most costly component in an upholstered piece, after the cover (leather or fabric). Most people assume its the frame and that all foam is pretty much equal, but that's not the case. The big problem is you - as the consumer - can't tell the difference between cheap foam and the best in the industry. Nor can your salesperson or whomever is answering the customer service phone, they simply don't know. I have a lot of discussions with the CEO's of companies we carry on price containment and ways we can help hold the line on price increases. Once of the topics is "Do we go down-market on foam? Put in a lesser quality seat core and back that won't last as long but will keep pricing down?" I always think its a bad idea and say so. It takes decades to establish a reputation as the Best in Industry, and not long to lose that reputation if you de-content your product. The Dupont Qualex high density foam that is in a Hancock and Moore piece is the most costly foam on the market. And it comes with lifetime free replacement (you pay shipping). In most cases, it will go 12 to 15 years in residential use. Put in new cores, and you are good for another 12 to 15 years.

Most people still buy upholstery based on price. A few have figured out that you want to buy quality, it lasts longer. Like Jack Glasheen (founder of Hancock and Moore) was fond of saying "Good things cost money". Shop wisely!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.