Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Sofa Time, Envelop 4845? Or other?

Default New Sofa Time, Envelop 4845? Or other?

Hi its been a few years, old handle was Flato cant seem to log in but anyways bought a new house and looking for some new furniture looking at the Envelop looking for a nice comfy couch to watch movies on. Im 6'2 210 open to other suggestions as well. Big question is what leather i have a piece in capri, so was thinking another capri, but seems Markle and Carver are just as good or better any other suggestions, Color Ideas? Carver ash caught my eye, so did the capri Java but doesnt seem in stock.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: New Sofa Time, Envelop 4845? Or other?

The 4845 Evelop Sofa is true to its name, it literally does envelop you when you sit in it. I think it's a marvelous piece, probably the single most comfortable sofa in that style I have ever sat on. However, its big...REALLY big, not only in length, but in depth, and even height. You have to make sure - and check it twice - that you can get it into your home and your space. This means double door entry, limited turns and at 118" its not standing on its end to pivot. It's possible to probably get through a 36" door with a straight shot and the legs taken off, but it's heavy and if put though a tight space is likely to get scratched - just fair warning and the delivery crew would have to be big in size, and experienced. But if you can get it into your home and have a large room to accomodate, it's magnificent.

Prices have gone up considerably in the past few years, too. In better hides, that sofa in any Grade 3 or higher grade leather, you will be well past $ 10K on it, before shipping/delivery or sales tax if applicable. Capri is GR 4, Carver is GR 7. Of course, the Carver is top shelf, best leather in the line. if you are willing to go with the cost of that hide, there is none finer and it shows on the piece, too.

Capri Java was never a leather color they carried, which is why you don't see it. Perhaps you are thinking of a difference colorway?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks for reply Duane, Just measured front door its 40in but storm door brings it down to 38in but sounds like that should work. Sorry the leather color was capri creme curious to what leather/color you think might look nice on this piece trying to stay away from just browns Carver ash and oat seem interesting maybe acorn.

Thanks again,

38" you will be good to go, however it will still be tight. I personally would fully remove the storm door to get back to 40" day of delivery, but that's just me. I'd rather take 15 min taking it on and off then live with a scratch on the leather on the sofa for as long as I owned it.

Yes, Capri Creme is gone, it was not a handsome leather color - it tended to have brown streaks in it and would look "milky", so that's one I don't miss. If you want a premium hide and in that light color family, Orson Parchment is where you want to be.

Carver Acorn is very hard to beat though, that's a gorgeous hide that will age in well over time without requiring the constant fussing of the cream colored leathers.
    Duane Collie

Thanks for all the information, Leaning towards the Carver Ash or Orson, Acorn looks wonderful just worried might be a little to similar to the capri butternut i already have. Think i am ready to see what the damage might be can i email you at dcollie@keepingroom.com/ for a quote or is there a more preferred way? Also just saw your feeling ill from covid hope you get well soon.
    Last edited by Gentleman; 12-15-2022 at 05:48 PM.

Glad to, please use keepingroom@gmail.com that old email no longer works. You can also use the Quotes and Orders section here which is even faster.

We can get you samples, too! Just include your mailing address. Capri Butternut is wonderful, but Carver takes it up a notch.

Thanks! Duane
    Duane Collie

Got the quote from Sarah, thanks. About ready to pull the trigger leaning toward Carver ash but not ruling out acorn yet going to sleep on it over the weekend. Wanted advice on how to spec it, nails? Wood? Seat cushions? Was thinking ultradown for seats, doesnt seem to be much wood just legs? Nails trim no idea.

Thanks

Here's an opinion I have on the two colors, both of the Carver's. The Ash is a gray-ish tone, and that has been very trendy the past ten years but has had its day. That color is fading from Decorator palettes while the Carver Acorn is the current "hot" color and is time tested. Dark Browns are "out" and warm ones in. I think the Acorn will stand the test of time and still look great in 20 years time, so I am considerably biased towards the Acorn unless you have a specific décor scheme you are working with in the room. This Hancock and Moore sofa in that leather will last well past our lifetimes given reasonable care so its a long term buy.

As to cushion cores, I would put in Spring Down, not Ultradown in that unit, or stay with standard Qualux cores for a firmer sit.

As to wood finish, Belgian Chocolate (Premium Finish, adds $ 316) is the top pick, but you may not feel it worth the upcharge since at the base of the sofa, in which case the best non-premium pick would be Mahogany (both these are for the Acorn color). For Ash, I would probably go black.

Nails are not standard on this model, but can be added if desired for an upcharge, then its just a matter of color....I like Black Nickel with the Acorn myself, and would do Pewter if going with Ash.

Here's a photo of the Carver Ash sample atop the Carver Acorn we have on a floor model chair (shown with Belgian Chocolate and "A" nail)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carver.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	15278
    Duane Collie

Alright Duane you have convinced me acorn it is with Belgian chocolate legs. Last questions at least for now, do you recomend adding the black nickel nail trim? Or let it be? Also im curious about the spring down it doesnt seem to be used very much and lastly when would be a good time to call to place order?

Edit, read through the cushion thread and saw that they changed the spring down cores in 2021? And now thats Recomended over the ultradown interesting. Do you know how they were modified?
    Last edited by Gentleman; 12-17-2022 at 05:22 PM.

I like nail trims myself, but I’m a Traditionalist, that piece was designed to have a more modern look and the younger generation prefers no nail trim so at the end of the day it just comes down to what you prefer, and are willing to pay for. I would put nails on it myself, my daughter Sarah who is 37 years younger than me would not!

Spring Down cores. Have come a long way the past five years, they have gone through quite a bit of evolution and give you the comfort of Ultradown with a better return which means (in most cases) less puckering of the casing over time. You will always see Ultradown on dealer showroom floors as that is provided free of charge to dealers on floor models, whereas Springdown is not, there is always a charge for that one. That’s why most dealers will always recommend Ultradown, because that's how their floor models come. Since the price is the same to you to order, I’d go Spring Down.

We are open Tues / Wed / Thurs next week, then closing until the following Wednesday.
    Duane Collie