Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Sofa Time, Envelop 4845? Or other?

Default Re: New Sofa Time, Envelop 4845? Or other?

I know it is absolutely none of my business, but I’m with Team Sarah on the nails and I’m much closer to your age, Duane <grin>.

That is going to be an absolutely beautiful sofa in the Carver Acorn and Belgian Chocolate finish, nails or no nails!

I am going to go with Sarah and internet guy ddmorganson on the no nail trim and will do the spring down already curious to see how they sit compared to the ultradown i already have on the tower. Think i might have had to much time to ponder about the sofa over weekend but would adding 2in of inside depth work? worth it? Given the overall dimensions of the piece im a little surprised its listed at only "22in" depth. Last several years ive primary been sitting on the tower sofa with chaise not sure of inside depth but i regularly have the cushions a little further out off the back adding a liitle depth, wife primarlily uses the chaise. but the last month been sitting on the McKinley chesterfield 3274 i got from you and enjoying the 26in of inside depth.

It's the ole Princess and the Pea thing, I can go to an Ultradown sofa, then to a Springdown sofa, and back and forth - I cannot tell the difference. Others will say ABSOLUTELY! Guess every butt is different, right? I think the Spring Down will leave you with a better cushion core shape over time however. Maybe less puddling in the cover - maybe.

The Envelop Sofa has a seat height of 20", interior depth of 22". As someone who is 5' 11", I would not want that any deeper. You must always take into account the seat height (SH) because it works in conjunction with seat depth (SD). Rule of thumb is as you decrease seat height, you increase seat depth. So as an example

20" SH x 20" SD is industry Standard.
    19" SH then you increase SD to 21"
    18" SH then you increase SD to 22"

Then the maker tweaks that formula as they see fit for their target market. At 20" SH with 22" SD, you already have an oversize unit. Think carefully if you want to go to 24" SD. Anyone sitting in that under 5' 11" will feel lost in it. And of course there is a custom charge to do so and you can't "take it back" or modify it again if you don't like the custom mod. Plus it will increase delivery time significantly Having said that, we can do it if you want it - you know what you like, get it to suit you.

I have a pair of French Curves sofas in my house and I thought of adding 2" in depth to them (19.5" SH, 20.5" SD) and should have. Instead I went with standard and regret it now. I will probably sell them and order something else, just have to figure out what my wife and I want. So yes, get it so it works for you!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Note that today is the last day we can place an order with Hancock and Moore until they return from Christmas break on January 2nd.....just an FYI.
    Duane Collie

For anyone following this thread, got some unfortunate news today, the envelop 4845 cant be customized on depth i requested for 24.5 in. Im assuming this means even a additional inch would be out of the question? Even so i am still considering the 4845 and trying to get a better idea on how 22in depth will sit. Was trying to compare with the tower which cushions have seen better days and McKinley which is 26in depth and low back. Somehow i forgot about the montery recliner i have which is 41in tall tight back with 22.5 in depth having sat in it with and with a Ottoman footrest im starting to think the 22in depth may be fine. I do wonder if any depth customization is impossible could 1/2in or 1in be added to the cushions? Advisable?

Thanks again

Hancock and Moore said there are too many complex curves on the Envelop sofa to custom-size it, sorry. Having said that, there are wealthy clients who don’t care what it costs and will commission a one-off custom, but that adds thousands of dollars and is best reserved for Texas Oilmen and Celebrities because the numbers are big.

In upholstery, you can’t get 1/2” specific because each piece is handmade, production tolerances are such that there is a +/- 2” acceptance standard in all pieces. Half an inch not something you would not feel or even be possible in a build.

As mentioned before, I think the 20” seat height coupled with 22” seat depth should be more than adequate for someone under 6’ 5” or so.
    Duane Collie

Nice to know its possible, but im throwing the towel in, standard depth should be fine, so should i wait intill Jan 2nd to call in and place the order? Or can you take my order and then send it in?

Sarah is in the store today, she can take your order. She is doing a delivery this morning so best to call after 11 am, she is going to close early today but I am not sure if the time . If easier, you can wait until we are all back on the 28th. Thank you!
    Duane Collie

Orders in! Will post pictures in a new thread in 6months give or take. Sarah did say tufted furniture is moving a little quicker. Will probably be making a few other purchases over next few months/year already thinking of a tavern sofa or that french curve for a game room and maybe a couple benchs. Can create another thread when time is right.

Thanks alot Duane, Sarah and random internet guy.

Thank you! We appreciate the order!

We are all in Seaside Florida for a family Christmas Vacation right now, Planned last summer, who knew an Arctic Air Blast would get here Christmas week and it’s FREEZING

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3CEACACB-37D0-4104-AACE-A2C640525814.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	15289
    Duane Collie