Thread: Polishing the furniture at home today

Default Polishing the furniture at home today

Coming off a two week bout with Covid, I’m doing a low-key day at home and polishing my better pieces at home, using OZ Polish. Worst thing you can do is quiet Pledge on up our wood pieces as it’s silicone-based and will seep below the finish coat into the wood. If the piece ever has to be refinished, the silicone will fisheye any new finish, only use non-silicone polishes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41EF27D6-E1AA-400E-99F7-8BE03F993252.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	15279

One of my showcase pieces is this Eldred Wheeler Flat Top Secretary Desk in Tiger Maple made in 1989. This belonged to my parents, and all the time we were a dealer for Eldred Wheeler in the 80’s and 90’s my wife and I could not afford one. They used to make 30 to 35 a year and our store would take about 1/3 of the the total production. I hauled and delivered every one from Hingham MA for many years. When my Mother passed in early 2020, this came to my house and once a year I polish it up.

It has 13 “secret” compartments, which was where you used to hide your money and valuables in the 18th Century before there were any banks. In the bottom of one of these document drawers is a sliding panel to stash things in. Emmett Eldred knew this piece was for my parents so we wrote a little diddy in the bottom which makes me smile every time I see it.

Name:	658AE3AB-8C5F-4D80-99F1-46AD38D2B511.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	15280

If you ever get a chance to acquire one of these I highly recommend it. They are out of favor right now and can be purchased for less than their new price 30 years ago, and when they come back to the market in years to come, I predict they will be highly sought after. They never made that many, and this level of workmanship is not out there in 2022.

Name:	FF696263-4128-4CAF-A460-64735EE70FB3.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	15281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	651FA98F-1AE4-47CD-8A02-F1735D70E0A1.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	15282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	823FAFB9-D0BD-4AB3-A647-0EF0505A84A6.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	15283
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Polishing the furniture at home today

I’m wondering if you have any idea where to keep an eye out for such a find, especially in the west?

Right here, same one I have except in cherry instead of tiger maple. This is a steal at $ 4,000, we sold these for $ 11,000 in the 1990's. This is under market by $ 3,000 at least and being end of the year, that seller might take an offer of say $ 3,700 in wire or ACH transfer (no credit cards). This is a standard unit, the one I have was actually customized with the secret compartments from the Bonnet Top unit they made, the Flat Top Standard only has three secret compartments. Notice the detail difference in the interior from mine (top section three carved pinwheel drawers, lower section eight carved upper casement drawers, finials on document drawers). But wow....what a great price on this, it's all original with correct hardware and no visible damage that I can see.

Use Plycon Van Lines to ship out West, will cost $ 1,500 +/- to ship it, but they won't tear it up.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1281024...waAtaOEALw_wcB
    Last edited by drcollie; 12-19-2022 at 11:52 AM.
    Duane Collie

Thank you, Duane! That is beautiful! I’m tempted to use some PTO cash out to purchase but I need to save that to finish paying for my sofa and chair in the spring.

Hey Duane. After seeing this post I actually contacted the Antiques store that had the listing for the cherry Eldred Wheeler secretary and I bought it. He immediately came down to a price of $3,500 and arranged shipping, delivery and setup in my house on the Gulf Coast for $475. So, in my house for under $4,000. It's beautiful and in very nearly perfect condition. I just need to dust it and polish it up. btw Dan Braskie at Quaboag Valley Antiques was great to work with. I mentioned Plycon for shipping, but he had had 3 damaged shipping experiences with them and instead offered a couple from Ryker Go who were excellent. They were very pleasant to work with and there was absolutely no damage. Pictures in my office.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0328.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	15417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0328.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	15417

Outstanding! To buy that for $ 3,500 is a tremendous bargain, congratulations! One day the market for these 1980/1990's handcrafted case goods will swing back to positive - and I think we are beginning to see that start to happen. I would not be surprised to see that brining 3x that amount in a few more years as it did when new.

Your Secretary Desk is a little dry from the photos. Use some Oz Polish, or Minwax Paste Wax on it, it will brighten it up! Never use any silicon-based polish on it (like Pledge).
    Duane Collie

Congratulations! That is a beautiful secretary and goes so well in your office!