Thread: Down Sectional Cushions

Default Down Sectional Cushions

I bought a corner sectional in 2021. It was purchased through Maiden Home, and is manufactured by Huntington House. The design is 2 long bench cushions and a corner piece. I love this bench look and the sofa overall is comfortable. The cushions are foam wrapped in down. The issue I have is the fabric, especially on everyone’s favorite spot, puddles easily and looks sloppy/old. I’ve been rotating and cleaning the seat cushions at least once a month since we got it. (Photos of the “favorite spot”, other side and the corner smaller cushion that does not have this problem, but we don’t really sit there)

We have since purchased upholstery chairs made by Hickory White that have spring down cushions and they don’t have the puddling problem at all. They are comfortable and feel supportive. So I recently emailed Maiden Home to see if I could purchase spring down cushions for my sectional via Huntington House. They got back with me and said they can’t do spring down (fair enough) but I can get replacement cushions that are either the same size with a down alternative or smaller cushions (I’m assuming 2 per sectional side in line with the cushion backs) in the same down wrapped foam that will naturally not puddle as much.

I’ve also found some companies online where I can get spring down cushions custom made. My question is what is the best solution? Would spring down even make any difference if they are long bench cushions? Is puddling inevitable? I really like the modern look of long cushions…so wondering about down alternative, but will that feel too sinking in if we like the more firm feel of the spring down on our chairs?

Thanks for any advice you can give. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1BF2C09-5B78-41DA-A3DA-572B5D819FA8.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	15284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53661FD4-6B43-4EB9-909D-112F5ABB2CCB.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	15285Click image for larger version. 

Name:	562E9F0F-9F53-4696-B3EA-71C0611FCB78.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	15286

Default Re: Down Sectional Cushions

This issue is not the cushions, its the large, un-segmented span of the seat. Your fabric is stretching and this is always going to occur in a 1-piece seat cushion with use. The solution is to take it to an upholsterer near you and have it re-sewn so its tighter. This will be an ongoing situation and will last about a year. Repeat as needed. Solution 2 is to have Maiden Home make you two new seat cushions in the same fabric and line them up to the back pillows.

If you go with harder cores, you would have to get the density up to a level where they would be no longer comfortable to sit on in order to control the puddling. Such is the downside of long-span, single cushion seats.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.