Thread: Large Cocktail Ottoman Advice

Default Large Cocktail Ottoman Advice

Hi Duane and anyone else reading this, had a few emails with Sarah about some benches/ottomans but the one i am needing some help on is a new ottoman to go in front of the 4845 Envelop sofa that will hopefully be here in a few months. I realized the 089 Edgar ottoman at 44in width will be on the small side in front of the envelop having thought about dimensions i would not mind if the edgar ottoman was another 12in or more wider. The sofa i am currently on inside is 69in and the envelop will be 85in. By my math to keep the same proportions i would need a ottoman 16in wider so 60in but seeing how i would not mind one longer then what i have now i am thinking a min of 72in and possibly as big as 80in. Curious your thoughts on the overall size, assuming the 069 campaign can be customized to that length would you also add additional depth? and in genreal would you recomend a different ottoman? Possibly the 024 Plantation or UL6360 craft bench? Lastly any thoughts on a color that would go with the carver acorn? Love the color markle royal but have a feeling that probably wouldnt work on color and probably durability? Would you even consider a capri/markle/carver on a ottoman? or stick with pullup/burnished leathers. I have a feeling i need to stay in the brownish family of leathers but cant help to think outside the box at the blues/gray/light colored leathers. Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Default Re: Large Cocktail Ottoman Advice

The Envelop sofa is 85.5" on the inside width, and generally I would recommend 18" of clearance on each side of the ottoman +/- to the inside width, that would leave us a target width on the ottoman of around 50", depth is flexible and overall height should be 2" +/- to the seat height of the sofa so that brings us to around 18".

The Evelop sofa is tufted with soft curves, so I would look at this one, and have it custom-sized. The tufting ties in and I like the plinth base on it as it matches up will to the long "back" line of the sofa. I would custom this around 50" x 32 x 18" and fiddle with those measurements to suit you.

https://www.hancockandmoore.com/Prod...ail?SKU=UL6360

I think the Campaign is too "Blocky" and traditional, and the 024 doesn't have enough visual weight. I would also err on the side of smaller rather than larger. When your cocktail ottoman is too large, it creates an obstacle that you will get tired of dodging. to get to the sofa. As to the leather, I would match it to the sofa personally. There is enough going on with the tufting in that ottoman that it doesn't need a color variance for style.

We can also do this one, its H&M's sister company so its easy to get H&M leather and wood finish on the base. I like it best as the skirted version and this is an oval.

https://www.jessicacharles.com/Products/Detail?SKU=881

Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks a ton Duane really appreciate the advice, I still want to keep the proportions similar so i am leaning towards at least 60in width but will think real hard and measure alot before going much longer then that, i agree that the UL6360 CRAFT BENCH would look good in front of the envelop the tufting on the sides is really nice, will have to get use to not having a few inches under ottoman to stick foot. Carver acorn on the ottoman would look nice and is probably the safe bet but still cant help but to think of a different leather to change things up will probably wait untill the sofa arrives to get a better idea of the color and overall size before ordering the ottoman but at least i have a style and rough size to think about now. Should i send a email and have you formally check on customizing the ottoman? I would hate to wait months to order and brainstorming only to find the size is not feasible. On a different note i got the new seat cores for the tower sofa and WOW! did it make a HUGE difference in looks and sitting its like a new couch again, i noticed the cushions were 20 percent extra fill was this your ordering? or hancock and moore? either way it was absolutley the right call and took away almost all the puddling these were ultra down seat and backs with chaise. There are some very light scratches here and there on the capri i used the moore and giles 33 and it has helped but i was wondering if hancock and moore made a dye kit for capri? or do you reccomend something else?

Thanks again,

Smart to get the ottoman at the same time as the sofa because the dye lots would match plus it would save about $150 on shipping. I would get the ottoman same leather as a first choice, I think it will look better unified with the Envelop. I think if you are doing a western ranch style decor it makes sense to mix them up, but in contemporary lines same leather is more successful. Yes, email would be best for custom work.

H&M has moved to firmer cores over the years, based on overall client wants so you probably have just the standards, but the new variants. They make a difference!

Dye kits are for severe sun fade, not to touch up pressure marks. We have the Magic Cloths available which are bettter to rub out scratches and pressure marks with. They are on our website.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.