Thread: Burnished Leather

Default Burnished Leather

I am still in the early process of deciding what pieces that I want, but I have been reading about burnished leather. I usually prefer the waxed-pullup leathers , but I'm really liking the look of Buckingham Walnut . Any thoughts on the durability of this leather ?
    Last edited by Sheri; 03-20-2023 at 10:48 AM.

Default Re: Burnished Leather

A burnished leather is simply a waxed/pull-up leather (almost always from Italy) that has had the top wax coat removed, Then the piece is fully upholstered thenis tinted by hand with a durable color agent, then gone over with sealer to lock in the hand-antiquing. The result is a handsome look, all the characteristics of a Pull-Up hide, with less color burst effect, and the top coat makes it very durable.

They do tend to be noisy leathers due to the sealer coat, but that can be quieted or eliminated entirely by applying Moore & Giles # 51 Conditioner to the hides. I have all the pieces in my own home (except for two) in burnished hides, love it. Tough, Good Looking and durable.

You can also re-burnish the leather as well, should it sun-fade as mine did over an 11-year period. Here you can see how I took them back to Hancock and Moore and Melissa fixed me right up, made them look new again.

https://www.myfurnitureforum.com/sho...hlight=tannery

We sell a lot of burnished leather at the store, we even have custom over-sized sample swatches of all the burnished hides.
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-20-2023 at 01:09 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.