Thread: The best brands for Motion furniture

Default The best brands for Motion furniture

Hi there,

I'm looking for a little advice and to hopefully have a question or two answered.
    We are shopping for a high-end "close to the wall" motion sofa. So far, we have narrowed our search down to four brands:

Stickley
    Hancock & Moore (Your Way 2)
    MotionCraft by Sherrill
    Bradington-Young

Given that these manufacturers all are buying the same mechanisms, is there any appreciable quality difference between the four brands when specifically talking about Motion pieces?

Do I have these ordered properly from most to least expensive?

Bradington-Young has two motion lines: Luxe for Living and Luxury Motion. What is the difference in the two lines? We've only been able to see and sit in a Luxe for Living model so far.

Do these manufacturers institute strict dealer price controls or are dealers free to discount if they want to? We haven't done any serious comparison shopping between dealers, and I would like to know if it's even worth the effort.

Will any of these manufacturers make a little custom piece for us if we want them to? We have older small dogs and I was thinking about a small step stool to help them get up on the couch on their own. Is that something any of these manufacturers would make for us if we wanted something that compliments our new sofa?

Thank you so much!
    Shawn

Default Re: The best brands for Motion furniture

Surely, as a Dealer for three of the four brands here's what my opinion is of them:

Stickley: The largest dealer for Hancock & Moore in the world is the Stickley Retail Stores. They sell a lot of H&M, my thoughts are simply that when a manufacturer carries a competitor in their own stores, what does that say about their product?

Hancock & Moore: No one builds a better motion product than they do. From the quality of foam used, to the frame structure, to the pitch angles (comfort), attention to detail and workmanship, they are THE superior brand. It will cost more, because when you do all the things they are doing in the build, there is more time and materials put into the construction. It's far more than just getting mechanisms from the same supplier. Look at the frame difference, for example:

https://www.myfurnitureforum.com/sho...hlight=plywood

If you put a dozen recliners in a room and removed all the identifier tags, I could easily pick out the Hancock and Moore pieces, not only visually from the workmanship, but also how due to the superior way they sit. I don't think there is much question in the industry or with consumers if they build the best and most comfortable, it's more are you willing to pay for it, because they are more expensive to own.

Motioncraft: I just recently got our first batch (3) of Motioncraft Recliners in for the first time. I think in build and price, they are closer to Bradington-Young than Hancock and Moore, I tend to think of them like B-Y but with better leather selections. My secret hope was they would be built like H&M and a better price point, but I don't feel that's the case. They are more like a deluxed B-Y.

Bradington-Young: They build motion like no one else, in that they have found the price niche coupled with a long-lasting product that is easier on the pocketbook than other brands. When I have price sensitive clients, that's who I take them to - they have their segment down pat. For many stores out there, this is their top builder, in my store they are the value line. You will find less of everything on a B-Y than a H&M, less padding on the arms and backs, wood finishes that are a bit blah, they don't sit quite as well - that sort of thing. They also will do zero custom work, they are an assembly line builder. I have owned B-Y in my own home from time to time, it's done well but it is not H&M.

Recently we drop-shipped a very large sectional ($ 18K) to a customer that was a combination of motion and stationary pieces. The Stationary pieces were 2 1/2 inches shorter in height than the motion ones! Ooops. That meant the stationary pieces were build in one location, the motion in another and no one bothered at BY bothered to test assemble that sectional prior to shipping it. That's what happens in assembly line construction as I find that as a dealer this is embarrassing (the two pieces on either side of the corner wedge are the shorter stationary ones).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BY Sect.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	15505

B-Y has the older 900 series and the newer 200 series. The difference is in the backs. The 900 series shows "Splits" in the backs where the recliners go down, so if you are floating them in a room you can tell they are recliners because of that. The H&M Your Way 1 is the same way. The 200 series (and H&M Your Way 2) are all encased in a hard shell, so the recliners move within that shell. That means the backs of the pieces look like regular stationary pieces, you cannot see the recliner cut lines. However, be sure you have wide entry way doors with the 200 series (and H&M YW2) as that design requires them. Do not order if you you don't have 35" of clearance in your doorway.

The only furniture line I know of that has price controls that are enforced is Stressless. Dealers are free to set their own prices on their product.

Hancock & Moore will do a custom, but a 1-off is expensive. VERY expensive. The others will not. I'd suggest if you go H&M, get one of these, they are perfect for booster stools and no need to have something custom made. This is what my little Terrier jumps on to get to the chair she likes.

https://www.hancockandmoore.com/Prod...etail/?SKU=016
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-27-2023 at 09:24 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: The best brands for Motion furniture

Thank you so much for such a detailed reply. I really do appreciate you taking the time to write all that you did. This helped a LOT.