Thread: New Couch

Default New Couch

Hi Duane. I'm back for another round of help. In 2019, I bought the Ashmore T&C in Weston Cane Burnished with the Campaign ottoman, and in 2020 added the Steele Farm Stools in Cameo Brown Burnished. We are now ready to follow-up on your suggestion to replace the older Barcalounger reclining loveseat in navy semianiline. From the pictures, you can see it is for the den which opens off the kitchen where the bar stools are. The current loveseat is about 64" and we have some space to give so were thinking that a full size sofa would offer more seating for when our adult kids visit for Sunday night movies?

We love the H&M quality but still like the idea of the reclining sofa, perhaps from the Motion Your Way line or B&Y? You have steered us well in the past, so we are open to any suggestions? Many thanks! - JeanAnn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230730_142245.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	15708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200421_154621_resized.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	15706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230730_141955.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	15707

Default Re: New Couch

I like the Ashmore sofa in the room, that's just about perfect. It scales well and the color is great. Realistically, my first choice from a design and layout perspective would be to put a custom-size matching Ashmore loveseat in that spot were the blue recliner unit currently resides. With the large cocktail ottoman, you can move that around for a footrest to either the sofa or loveseat.

Any of the recliner loveseats from B-Y or H&M are going to look bulky, heavy and out of place in that spot, from an aesthetic standpoint they are not ideal. Also with the footrests up they would be almost touching the cocktail ottoman. But if you are OK with all that, then either they H&M Your Way or B-Y 200 or 900 series will work. You could do a loveseat, or recliner/console/recliner for more arm room and comfort. Changing the end tables from the big pottery pieces to something more airy will help as well.

Another option would be a pair of Rugby Recliners that would pair well in the room. One put where the blue loveseat is currently, the other on the edge of the carpet at a 45 degree angle to the TV, perhaps with a table between them. The Recliners would be easy to move for a big family movie night, too.

https://www.hancockandmoore.com/Prod...il?SKU=7106-PR
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hey Duane,

My Daly glider chair is going to be delivered this week. Only 10 months….lol

The reason why I’m replying to this thread is because I have a very lightly used Sundance recliner and a Sundance power reclining loveseat that I was just about to post. The recliner chair is not powered. Both are in the clarinet leather. Im not sure what part of the country Jhudson is in, but I am in Plymouth Mi.and could be talked into a trip out Duane’s way to grab that second traveler’s chair.

Since I was going to post soon anyway I thought I’d mention it.

Thanks,
    Tony

https://www.hancockandmoore.com/Prod...ail?SKU=4716-2

Also just wanted to thank you and your daughter for getting me the discontinued leather color to match the other daly glider I already own

Yes, well we had a dropped leather AND a custom sized frame so 10 months is about right with those parameters. Took a long time to get Sun Delivery to you though....sheesh.

Traveler's chair is long gone, sold that several months ago.....
    Duane Collie

Sage advice, as always. I see your point of scaling down a matching sofa but I may have to give up some aesthetics to get the seating for 6 that I need. The footrest on the current loveseat does extend almost to the ottoman when in use but actually works well to ensure everyone can reach to put their feet up since we weren't blessed with much height. With those concessions, what about replacing the current loveseat with the Campaign Reclining Sofa, particularly since it should coordinate with the Campaign Ottoman we already have and is only 84.25" in width versus the others at over 90"?

I'm also thrilled with your suggestion to replace the crock end tables with something smaller since those actually came with my husband and it's an easier sell since the suggestion came from you. Do you have any recommendations for end tables?

Many thanks.

The Campaign Dual Recline sofa will work, as long as you know its a style variation from the Ashmore in the room and are good with that. It's a more attractive piece than the Your Way units in my opinion.

Yes, those giant crock end tables, they need to go as they literally have that Sophomore-Year-of-College-Found=Them-Back-By-The-Dumpster vibe. Pretty much anything is better! Take a look at this one, and others on the Woodbridge web site, they have several good designs that are not large tables.

https://www.woodbridgefurniture.com/...-table-1015-13
    Duane Collie

Thanks Duane - your direction always saves me from anguishing over these decisions. I also like the Woodbridge table. Does the mink color coordinate with the TV stand, or is there a different finish you suggest? And I assume I need 2 tables to replace the 2 I'm removing?

PS - you were spot-on with the sophomore year estimate, although my husband will defend they came from antique stores and are early 1900's red wing crocks worth some coin (just not to me).
    Best!

I don't really know about color matching into your TV Credenza, it's too hard to tell from photos. They would be on the other side of the room, so coordination would be more likely rather than matching. As long as they are not radically different (such as a bright red)you are usually pretty good to go. I would get two for sure, whatever you decide upon.

Crocks can be collectible - there is a whole sub-culture that is into collecting those. Take the money...and RUN !
    Duane Collie