Thank you all for your purchases during the Black Friday Sale. Response was literally over-whelming and I've finally caught up this morning from all of that plus the normal things that make up daily business. All orders have been submitted with modifications as required, all emails and PMs have been answered and samples ordered, etc. If there is anything outstanding and you have not rec'd a reply on it, please resend it.

Now here's an interesting data point. For the first time I was able to get Bradington-Young to participate in the Black Friday Sale, giving the same discount as I did for Hancock and Moore. How many B-Y pieces did I sell? None. Not a one, either long distance or locally.

H&M orders exploded, and far exceeded my expectations (I won't tell numbers, because too many competitors read this forum!), but they were significant. Why is that? I'm curious as to the reasons in the buying decisions. Do those of you who chose H&M over B-Y want to share in your decision-making process?

Bradington-Young has a better price point by about 20 to 25 % on average. Hancock and Moore is the gold standard in the industry for their category and costs more, however its no-compromise furniture.

I have long preached to people in the industry against the bucking trend of making things for less money and cheaper in quality. That's the wave all these CEO's tend to want to go to. Currently the rage is to have it Made in the USA, but do it as cheaply as you can. I tell them that's wrong...that the average American consumer will pay for higher quality and good shopping tools (Point of Sale material, etc) but you have to show them what they are getting for their money. You have to educate and explain to them so they have the tools to make the decision on how they want to spend their money. That's what this forum is all about - educating and sharing knowledge, and why I'm not a hard-sale guy. I give out information and let the customer decide.

I think the failure for Bradington Young to generate even one sale over the Black Friday Weekend at my store bears that theory out. Jack Glasheen and Jimmy Moore at Hancock and Moore 'get it'. They want to produce the best in class and won't cut corners, the price has to fall where it may. And they are willing to spend money to give customers a great website with all the leathers on it, and the best and most handsome sales catalog in the trade.

I spent nearly two hours with the Senior VP of Sales (Craig Young) of B-Y a few weeks back and told him all of the above, plus a whole lot more. How they need to improve the website and post leather swatches on-line, and show more photos and change the way they do some production things even if it results in higher prices. He was very interested in what I had to say and clearly that's not what he hears at most furniture stores that pound on the companies for cheaper and cheaper pricing.

A lot of people in the trade read this (but never post), so share your thoughts on why you purchase one brand over another if you like. You never know whom you may influence at the head of a company!