I have a Smith Brothers swivel recliner that I am happy with, although I have not had it for a year yet, and it is not in my primary residence so doesn't get a ton of seat time. It seems solid, well-built, and comfortable.

I think they're definitely a worthy alternative in the BY-level price class. The store where I purchased it also carried BY. I found no difference in comfort, unlike the rest of lines they carry. And, excuse the brief digression, but I absolutely could tell the difference between the SB/BY stuff and their other lines without looking at the tags, which frankly surprised me given my inexperience.

Anyway, back on topic, I would definitely consider Smith Brothers again if I were looking in that price range. There are some interesting trade-offs. For example, they do use coils in the seat deck, even in recliners somehow, but they are drop-in systems with metal fasteners instead of hand tied (not surprising at this price) and the back is sinuous as you mentioned. On the other hand, frames are solid maple compared to BY's laminated hardwood. I also can't identify their recliner mechanism - it has a lever on the side to operate the foot rest. I thought only La-Z-Boy was still doing that. Not sure if that is good or bad - ask me in 20 years I guess.