Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed for online purchase of a leather sofa

Brownie Guest

Default Re: Advice needed for online purchase of a leather sofa

I feel like a lemming following the pied piper... and you are the king of the pipers. I have learned so much in such a short time frame that my head hurts! It refreshing to find such quality info all in one place.
    I like many others have been taken in by the look of the RH sofa line. We like the Maxwell at 96" with the 'deep' 29" seat depth. At 3500 (on sale) its pushing the envelope of the budget. I've seen the knock offs (er replicas) at Cascobay, Leathergroups and Comfortable Couch but everything I read about H&M here makes we want to jump in the car and drive to DC, talk to you and buy the H&M comparable - I think its the Illusion ..... Anyway the leather that RH is 'pushing' is called Italian Brompton Cocoa - Aniline with 12 layers of wax... I realize that price can't be mentioned here but can we get into a similar H&M (or BY) product without breaking the bank? I want US made and am willing pay a bit extra to get it - but I have an 8 year old and don't want to use his college savings to get it!

Brompton Cocoa is a 'pull-up' leather and RH does promote it aggressively. I'm not sure if they use that as a 'married cover' and have it pre-cut and sewn, nor do I know if their upholstery they show that on is domestic or imported (I suspect the latter, but have no basis in fact other than looking at price points and the limited selection of hides to choose from). I do know that I have sat in their sofas at the store and I find that 29" inside depth doesn't work for me. but I'm Old School and like to sit up in a sofa...lol. You really are not going to find those kind of depths in the lines I carry, they are really too deep unless the primary use of the sofa is to nap in horizontally. H&M only makes one sofa in that depth (Settlement) and B-Y makes none. You cannot get a nice pull-up leather on an H&M for that $ 3,500 price point, sorry.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Brownie Guest

Well I guess my dream is now kaput I knew I was reaching - and I had the wife all but sold... thanks for your help

so assuming I gave up on the depth and went into T&C Illusion in Mocca - am I still way over? - or should I just call you and talk it out?

I think you should give Duane a call, because he has been swamped during the H&M Sale period. Your definitely on the right track with this Sofa and Leather choice and Duane can provide pricing and delivery time-frame on the phone.